A nice cup of tea....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
wasn't there a topic recently saying the best thing to do when lost is to sit down and have a cup of tea?
i think stuart wrote it.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
SowthEfrikan said:
Rooibos? Ag nee man, that stuff tastes awful. Ick. It's supposed to be healthy but don't see why anyone should suffer it. Viva Earl Grey, Viva!.

Well, horses for courses I suppose - I like Rooibos, and I hate Earl Grey - tastes like soap.

I suspect you don't like Lapsang Souchong either? :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
dommyracer said:
Well, horses for courses I suppose - I like Rooibos, and I hate Earl Grey - tastes like soap.

I suspect you don't like Lapsang Souchong either? :)

I don't like Earl Grey either; the bergamot smells like the pot pourri I make :rolleyes: I do like Lady Grey though, in fact I've just sat down with a mugful :D I like Lapsang Souchong but Aged Pu Erh has got an extra kick ;)

cheers,
Toddy

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
dommyracer said:
Roobios for me. Anything with caffiene tends to give me acid reflux. Which is nice.

Big fan of the stuff too. Leon got me drinking it at the moot and I haven't had a cup of any otehr tea since. Means Red bush I think. A SA friend of mine was telling me that it used to be called the "Workers Tea".

Can't agree about the Caffeine though :D

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Having recently discovered banana leaf tea I can recommend it. I only know how to make it from fresh leaves at the moment though, so it might not be one everyone can make.

Anyone made any other teas the bushcraft way? (Always consider the safety issues)

leon-1

Marts said:
Big fan of the stuff too. Leon got me drinking it at the moot and I haven't had a cup of any otehr tea since. Means Red bush I think. A SA friend of mine was telling me that it used to be called the "Workers Tea".

Can't agree about the Caffeine though :D

Sorry mate:eek:.

I like Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, Rooibos (orange, Vanilla and Caramel). I also like Russian Tea, green tea, Jasmine Tea and many others. If I want something refreshing I tend to go for the Rooibos Orange.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
rich59 said:
Having recently discovered banana leaf tea I can recommend it. I only know how to make it from fresh leaves at the moment though, so it might not be one everyone can make.

Anyone made any other teas the bushcraft way? (Always consider the safety issues)

I've drank Ground Ivy, pine, yarrow, chamomile and water mint all very pleasent tasting but the mint knotted my stomach and made me a bit ill. I think I made it too strong.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
The Yarrow was very good indeed and I recommend it. If you use a lot of leaves it obviously makes the drink stronger and I like mine like this. Ground Ivy is OK but not as nice as Yarrow IMO. Both grow prolifically so very easy to have a quick brew. I sometimes carry a squeezable honey bottle to add honey to mine Ground Ivy tea used to be sold by hawkers on the streets of London during winter as it's good for the chest.

The pine and mint I found to be OK ish except the mint was too strong for my stomach, but fresh chamomile heads in a cuppa are excellent.There's a good patch of chamomile at a spot up in Shotover country park

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Tea is a very good re-hydrant, warmer and moral booster.

I had pine needle tea once - was okish.

Roobois is one of my favourites, the vanilla one is very good. Im a bit insane when it comes to tea, as i get mine from an algerian coffee store called 'The Brabo' in Soho. A nice cuppa Ching Wo, Kee Mun or Russian Caravan goes down nicely in the bush.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Yorkshire gold loose leaf tea at home. Nettle tea and sometimes rosebay willowherb tea in the field. Black with sugar in the first instance, all the others with a wee bit of honey.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As those who've been in my kitchen know, I'm a tea jenny :eek: There are about 40 different varieties of tea tea in the chest just now, but I do like wild tea too.
Mints, nettle, yarrow, coltsfoot, marestail, meadowsweet, clover, rowan, elder, rasp, blackcurrant or strawberry leaves are all excellent. I enjoy the coffee types too; dandelion root, goosegrass seeds, that kind of thing.
Oh, and I keep plain old Tetley tea bags for those who don't want to risk anything *funny* :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. now that Nestle make condensed milk in tubes, those of the *milk and two sugars* persuasion ought to be okay :D

M

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
Actually I enjoy Lapsang S - it tastes like a braai in a cup. Lovely smokey flavour. :)

I've never heard of rooibos being called the worker's tea. In fact "worker's tea" doesn't sound like what a typical SA would say. My guess is that someone probably cleaned up what it actually used to be called.

And, ja, the literal translation of rooibos from Afrikaans is red bush, but it's usually just called rooibos or bush tea. Ick. Ugh. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE