A new weld, bring me the I told you so's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey guys, I small while ago my pure function sheath for my Svante Djarv carving knife lost one of its stitchings through the absence of a certain weld ^^
So I decide to follow , I believe it was Hamish's advice from a while ago, and strip the sheath apart and added a weld to it
Though due to the already crooked stitching it wasnt much to bother getting it nicely spaced etc, it was going to be a pure function sheath. As the friction fit was loosing its grip and the weld would add even more space I decided to add another line of stitching.
I finished it a couple a days ago yet am still struggling to get the weld nice and smooth like you guys always have your weld nice and glazed, can you guys tell me the secret, currently I'm just rubbing it with a beech stick shaped object and some Beeswax

DSC06199.jpg

DSC06198.jpg

DSC06188.jpg

DSC06192.jpg

And yeah it aint a real looker.
will remake it someday, without crooked stitching

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Uh ohhhhh now you've gone and done it.

Once you start fiddling about with leather and sewing it it becomes an addiction and pretty soon you'll befinding all sorts of projects to do, even if you don't need to do 'em!

As for getting the leather to lay flat, I do belive the advice was to wet it and press something solid against it like the shaft of a screwdriver or something to press the leather fibres flat. Fine sandpaper could take some of the sharper corners off too.

Very tidy work that. Well done!

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thats looking great. for the edge, i tend to use spit and either smooth bone or plastic to burnish it smooth. i tend to use the red plastic on the side of my swiss army knife it works very well. not the nicest option but its cheap and it works :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Melt your beeswax over a candle (or in a bain marie - a bowl sat in a pan of water on the stove) - then daub it along the edge with a cotton bud - it will dry almost before you get it on the leather, don't worry about it being a bit clumpy. Once done grab a hairdryer and melt the large globs in - smoothing with the side of a pencil as you do. Once all the beeswax is soaked in burnish lots more, anything hard and shiny will do the trick.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi m8....i simply use a fine wheel on a second-hand-10quid bench grinder and take it all off....then dye it and then i used to apply 'finish' and then polish once dry...now i handpaint a few coats of edgekote on with a smallish brush....

job done

regards

a

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks for the loving responses everyone, and for the tips I will try those methods,
and plus one for not saying I told you so, it was hard I can only imagine how hard it was.
Yours sincerely a guy with a new addiction
And Biker you couldnt be more correct already 5 new project on my list, from bags and pouches to Quivers and moccasins
So bring on the good stuff ^^

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I like that, nice way to do the belt hanger. Am about to start my own leather working with my first sheath attempt so this thread is very helpful! Especially as I was thinking of not adding the welt to it... Will do for sure now.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hahaha Superb thanks Angst ^^ and Lewis, it is indeed a smart idea as your friction fit will loosen slightly over time and thus you will risk cutting your stitching
its a good thing to have so many knowledgeable people waiting to answer all your questions and share their experiences, Great community!!
Thanks guys
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE