A new mess kit choices...update.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which mess kit would you choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
My birthday is coming up in the 19th and my wife wants to get me another mess kit. I have narrowed it down to two choices and I can't decide which one to go for. Here my choices.

1, Russian VDV paratroopers mess kit.
vdv.jpeg

Coolness factor 9

2, Yugoslavian mess kit
yugo.JPG

Cooless factor 7-8

To help me decide which one would you choose and why.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm thinking the Russian one. It just looks simpler and I suspect the rounded shape distributes heat better (more evenly) and should be easier to clean.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
For me a steel bottle is a must for boiling water. The narrow mouth on the Russian one would put me off though. If you are not settled on those two I'd check out the options offered by self reliance outfitters and the pathfinder school.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
For me a steel bottle is a must for boiling water. The narrow mouth on the Russian one would put me off though. If you are not settled on those two I'd check out the options offered by self reliance outfitters and the pathfinder school.

Yeah I'm kind of settled on these two, it's not like it's my only mess kit. :) I have a sneaking suspicion it's only going to be used in backgarden bushcraft.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ I do like the fact that a KFS set in included in the Yugoslavian one. But the metal construction of the VDV gives more cooking opportunities. Oh hell! you know what going to happen? No doubt I'll get the VDV for my birthday and later on I'll get the Yugo kit.:rolleyes:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Pretty sure its aluminum

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
The Yogo one has a bottle opener, all good and we'll been able to boil water but how would you open your beer?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Iv got a vdv mess set and I've used it quite happily with a trangia clickstand and burner. Doesn't take up much room and being aluminium is quite light.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
So it looks like I'm getting the VDV kit but my wife (trying to surprise me) told me that she's ordered my third choice as an extra gift after looking at my history on Youtube. She's got me the Trangia Mess Tin.
TMT.jpg

I like this one as I can keep it in the bag in the car with an Esbit stove for cooking.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
So it looks like I'm getting the VDV kit but my wife (trying to surprise me) told me that she's ordered my third choice as an extra gift after looking at my history on Youtube. She's got me the Trangia Mess Tin.
View attachment 39278

I like this one as I can keep it in the bag in the car with an Esbit stove for cooking.

Ah I've got one of those. If you enjoy putting survival kits together they make a very practical tin.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If heard quite a few people say exactly the same thing about aluminium for cooking. Personally I've never tasted any difference, maybe my sense of taste isn't so finely developed as other...who knows.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Cheap aluminium pots are usually "raw" aluminium, so the surface can easily react, particularly with acidic foods such as tomatoes. This not true of hard anodized aluminium, which is very much less reactive, and stick resistant (definitely not truly non-stick) .You should check if equipment is hard anodized if you will be cooking rather than just boiling water.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Listen up and listen good, lifes too short to be forced to make decisions like this on kit. Buy both and be done with :) i bet there is not a person on this forum with one of everything... i think my stove count is up to 19 :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE