A new knife? Which?

Bacoben

Aug 29, 2011
Scotland - West Coast
Hey, hopefully im posting in the right section.

I have assorted knives, most of which are swiss style multi-tools, which is fine for most purpouses, but as I get more and more into bushcraft, I find that they..just don't cut it, excuse the pun. :rolleyes:

As the local shops are very limited, I will have to buy one online...although I really dont like the idea of not seeing and feeling a blade properly before I buy it.

So I was wondering if anyone might recommend me a nice knife, suitable for me, a somewhat novice. I had a look online but I was overwhelmed with choice!

Any help is appreciated,

BB

Bacoben

Aug 29, 2011
Scotland - West Coast
A mora 860

Great starter knife, and cheap enough that you dont have to worry about buggering it up.

Sweet, i might just buy that and be done with it.

I dont mind spending a little more, but I suppose I should hone in on my knife-care and sharpening skills before I go spending a lot of my hard earned moneys on a knife.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
go for a mora with a 'scandi' grind, you'll love it and it'll be cheap.

there are loads of mora designs to choose from so just pick what you like the look of as thay are all of good quality.

this place is good for online knife buying. (not connected etc)

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Mora-Knives/c-1-92-304/

or maybe the condor range? very good materials and strong user knives, nothing too fancy and a very good price!

http://www.heinnie.com/prodtype.asp...rchStartRecord=0&strParents=92,130&CAT_ID=130

let us know if you make a decision!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Great advice there BB.

Don't get carried away with thinking you have to spend a lot.
Mind you, you probably will just as we've all done but do start of with the likes of a mora.
Sharp as anything and after a year or two spending hundreds on blades, you'll still turn to it for most things. Lol

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Everyone starts with a Mora or gets one eventually it gives you a reference point Southeys link is good
Of course it is really all the knife you need ;but what happens next is a different story
More importantly make sure you have a decent folding saw
With that combo of Mora ,SAK and decent folding saw that's the basic tool kit
We all carry more but that's because we want to not because we need to
Have fun with it

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I guess I'll be the odd man out. I cain't say much about Moras; I've never owned one. Or for that matter I've never even seen one other than in photos and videos. My go to knife has always been a Buckk 110 (well not always, but since it came out some 40 years ago anyway)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If you get the clipper from Woodlore it is less than £10 (inc postage) and you get a Ray Mears name on it so you can say you have a celebrity knife too - if you want to do that. Woodlore have a prompt delievery service

(no connection etc)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE