a new idea for a tool for all bushcrafter,s to enjoy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
However just like to add don't give up on your idea and I'd like to echo Paul_B by saying Good Luck with it. I have had quite a few designs reach the production stage and although I work for a company and don't see huge amounts of dosh for my designs (other than a weekly wage for which I am of course immensely grateful) it does give a great amount of satisfaction.

Almost makes up for the few weeks after the drawings have gone to the manufacturers to order x hundred of each and hoping I haven't made any mistakes that will see x thousands quids worth of components in the bin. ;)

Last edited:

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I have read throught the whole thread and found the help that you guys have given to the interceptor boy very informative but I am still none the wiser as to what he wants to produce. I am not lucky enough to have ny own ideas yet as most of the stuff I need I can buy or copy an existing design for personal use (not sure on the legaility of that), I heard a saying once that "neccesity is the mother of all invention". So you need to think carefully if what you have as an idea is what people are prepared to pay for.

I think that you need to do some market research to ensure that whatever it is that you want to produce doesn't have something similar already on the market which does a similar task. There are alot of guys on here with a lifetime of experience that are able to help.

On reading your first post it seems that you already have the initial design in place, and the means to manufacture that design and mention a few tweeks to finalise the said design. You mention that you seek routes to market but the company that will produce it will also market and sell it as I assume they do with other products they have. It is all a bit cryptic for me at the moment it sounds like you are trying to sell a product or atleast gauge peoples intention to buy without actually mentionong what the product does.It also sounds that you need an outlet for the product , there are a number of retailers which carry bushcraft related items in their inventory and a number of ways to actually sell these items outside of those well known retailers.

Your second post is even more cryptic than the first and in fact confuses me as to what you want to know you still have negated to mention what you actually specifically want to know, you don't need someone to prduce it, you don't need someone to market it, you don't need and R&D

"I am not after money!my humble intention was to see if anyone would freely point me in the right directions. who to approach and so on. what do I have to do as a new innovator? I only have the company email address. cheers the interceptorboy."

Right direction to do what exactly, I think that if you ask a specifice question to achieve a specific outcome I am sure that someone on here can answer.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
The problem I think the poster has is he doesn't want to give away too much of a clue as to what his idea is... it's an awkward situation. He has to speak in general concepts for fear of having his idea unscrupulously nicked. But I agree it would be helpful for us if he could let us know at what stage he is with his idea as his posts do seem a bit ambiguous.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I thought the first post made it clear what he wanted. He has an idea that he thinks is marketable. He has a company in mind making similar stuff that he thinks could make said product and wants to know what he should do. I presume his idea is to approach the company and sell the idea in some way and he wants to know how to go about it.

I presume his idea is to approach the company and sell the idea in some way and he wants to know how to go about it.

That depends on his costing model if he/the company can make small numbers to sell at a sensible price then they can market it themselves on here and other places then pick up shops and retail outlets on the back of that (assuming they have built in trade discounts into the model )

If it needs a huge number to get the RRP down to a sensible price then they need to put distributors and retailers in place to enable the sale of a lot of numbers quickly to recoup the outlay etc this would also need a cost model for maybe 2-3 layers of distribution ie you dont get as much but the larger numbers make up for that.

ATB

Duncan

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I thought the first post made it clear what he wanted. He has an idea that he thinks is marketable. He has a company in mind making similar stuff that he thinks could make said product and wants to know what he should do. I presume his idea is to approach the company and sell the idea in some way and he wants to know how to go about it.

Hmm - so he wants a broker, or an agent - some one to take his idea to the company
so if anyone is interested to hear about my IDEA and getting in touch with this company please send me a pm. cheers the interceptor boy.

Nope, still don't get it. Make a prototype, include a business case, approach the buyers of the company, be persistant. Why do you need us? I think we're all interested to hear his idea. Perhaps we should just PM him

I thought the first post made it clear what he wanted. He has an idea that he thinks is marketable. He has a company in mind making similar stuff that he thinks could make said product and wants to know what he should do.

Ok that maybe clearer i assumed from his first post he had been working with a company and had developed the protoyping etc and they where ready to start a first batch of whatever it is.

ATB

Duncan

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
hi guys first and formost thanks very much for all generous advice. I am very greatfull but you lot can understand that I am a bit cagey about my idea. now as a bushcrafter I have been using and watching if one has come up with this idea of incorporating two tools for bushcraft into one. but so far there is nothing like that on the market. I have done my research even our most famous or infamous Mr Ray Mears haven't come with this idea of producing this tool, otherwise he would have cashed in on it a long time ago. or even the company producing millions of the two tools for everyone to used in their everyday lives, let it be Garden,workplace,or the outdoor. if I just approch the company, they may suppressed my idea,because I made them look foolished because they didn't come up with it in the first place. so I need to find out how to get to the very top prototype director of the company to engaging him/ her to talk to me.yes the company would make serious money. I don't write any of my idea's on paper. that is all I am saying at the moment. cheers the interceptor boy.

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
Just patent the idea first on a sketch with the patents office and you have integrity on the design..

then you can tote it to any manufacturer you want.

I reacon you`ve invented the flick-axe :) A massive penknife thing with an 20 oz axe in the handle.

Last edited:
May 18, 2011
Scotland
Be very careful brother.

From your last post it seems you are just combining two tools that are used everyday. Yet you say that there are companies making both individually?

Before you do anything make prototypes and test thoroughly. It may already have been tried and for some reason just didn't work or wasn't logical to make.

I hope i'm wrong though and hope you do well with it.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Do as someone has suggested and send yourself a drawing and description via registered post. Don't open the envelope. That gives you dated proof that you conceived the idea.

Chances are though that someone has already done it. The victorians invented just about any gadget you can possibly think of.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE