A New Coat For A Lovely Little Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I was asked if I could make a replacement sheath for this lovely old classic sheath knife;
P2060038copy5.jpg

P2060039copy6.jpg

So I set away and came up with this;
P2060041copy2.jpg

P2060040copy1.jpg

P2060043copy4.jpg

P2060042copy3.jpg

I deliberately left the press stud flap a little long, as the owner wanted to be able to access the knife in a hurry, in case of getting tangled in boat lines etc.

I also went with belt slots at the lads request, I'd normally have formed a loop on the back but I'm fairly pleased with the outcome. I haven't made a sheath of this type for ages but I think I might do so again.

Thanks for looking

all the best

Steve

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
oh thats just what it needed,....but,....

i have that exact same knife,....

my Dad bought it me for my 9th birthday,.....

now you got me thinking Steve,...!!!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely job that Steve

I have the same knife, although on mine the handle fell apart so i remade it a year or so ago with stacked leather.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
oh thats just what it needed,....but,....

i have that exact same knife,....

my Dad bought it me for my 9th birthday,.....

now you got me thinking Steve,...!!!

Weird. I have one (somewhere) that I'm sure is identical too. My uncle bought it for me as a kid. I haven't seen it in a while - it's probably at my folks place. I recognised the handle with the red/black stripes and the blade shape immediately! Anyone know what it is?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The sheath looks sound :D like a great match for the knife :D

The knife looks like one of the old Scout Shop ones; usually made in Sheffield, sold all over the place too though, not just to Scouts. They weren't expensive, but they took a lot of abuse and it's astonishing how many of us still have ours. We still have two of the range in the house.

cheers,
Toddy

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Weird. I have one (somewhere) that I'm sure is identical too. My uncle bought it for me as a kid. I haven't seen it in a while - it's probably at my folks place. I recognised the handle with the red/black stripes and the blade shape immediately! Anyone know what it is?

we got it from a high street sports shop in Doncaster,...so may have a Sheffield link?....dunno.

they were all sat on a shelf behind the tills,..hahaha

probably mass produced jobby,....but no less loved.

this is mine,....

Image0108.jpg

Last edited:

rancid badger

Thank you all for the very kind comments

I too had a knife very like this one but sadly, it disappeared many years ago:(

The battered sheath was not the original one mind you, though it certainly had served well.

The knife itself, though pitted and worn, is extremely sharp!

Anyway, thanks once more;)

cheers

Steve

PS: It's definitely from Sheffield, by William Rodgers in fact.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Think you will find these are made by A Wright & Son in Sheffield, mine is anyway, it has a nice stylised AWS down by the bolster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE