A mud forge...Does anyone else play with these?

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
No I'm sorry that's far too simple ;)

Seriously, so long as you can get a good bed of charcoal up to temperature it'll work very well indeed for a small blade or two.

The pan will burn through after a couple of goes but if it cost nearly nowt it doesn't really matter.

Cheers,
Steve

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
No I'm sorry that's far too simple ;)

Seriously, so long as you can get a good bed of charcoal up to temperature it'll work very well indeed for a small blade or two.

The pan will burn through after a couple of goes but if it cost nearly nowt it doesn't really matter.

Cheers,
Steve

Yeah that is my biggest fear that it will burn through but only time will tell!

Some excellent videos there, are they yours?

Thanks Firecrest they are mine!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
What a great idea. I liked Dave Budd's 'Turf forge' (for want of a better phrase) at the Wilderness Gathring and I am dying to have a go when I get the time. The mud one is even simpler. Like it a lot.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
That's some good work Slammer but it can be even simpler. Make a hole in the dirt about the size of your two fists placed next to each other. Add an air pipe so it's just poking into the side of the hole and you're done. In use it's best to keep the hole full of fuel and a small mound of fuel on top also. You shoudl slide the work into the fire keeping it level. The pipe doesn't need to be fancy -- I've used 22mm copper pipe before which was lying around in my scrap pile. So long as you keep the dirt around the pipe damp it should be fine.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I used to use a similar setup for a long time powered by a 12v airbed pump which enabled me to power the forge from my vehicle in the woods.

P1050121.jpg

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Thanks for the post Slammer. I was impressed by the simplicity of your idea. I'll take a look at your other videos as well. Looks like it's an interesting channel you have. I hope you keep it up, it's appreciated.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I really like BushBlades setup. It's a simple, lightweight & elegant solution that I think I will have to have a go at soon, as I happen to have a 12v pump for inflatable beds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE