A load of augers and an axe

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi guys,
I landed just under a dozen augers the other day. Today I finally got home to start working on them.

Theres a few different sizes but most of them are under an inch. A couple need some real attention but the first two have cleaned up nicely.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm not sure what I will do with them yet but they all need the rust taking off to start with.

Next up is an un-marked axe though it came with a double bit that I had brought over from the states. Supposedly it's a Kelly. Either way I have enough axes in that size range so I thought I'd just have a go at altering it a tad.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not my best handle job ever but it won't come off anytime soon. It has a fair weight to it and should be a good belt axe. I've yet to clean up the head and oil the handle but there's no rush. I'll give it a good going over eventually.

All the best
Andy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What a good bundle of augers...I found two the other day. Im going to clean them up and give them leather sheaths.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Andy, what method are you using to clean up the augers Andy? I have five to do and am wondering how best to approach them...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The head has three ridges running through the eye. Which made fitting it interesting. The handle is just a tad small for the eye. Which is frustrating as it's the only one I had, not the end of the world.

Red, I'm using the little known method of "have at it with a wire cup wheel on the angle grinder." ;) I'm not one to beat around the bush with these things.

All the best
Andy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Andy - looks neat

If it works, I'll stick to "have at it with a wire cup brush on the pillar drill" - because I get an extra hand that way :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thanks Andy - looks neat

If it works, I'll stick to "have at it with a wire cup brush on the pillar drill" - because I get an extra hand that way

Ah, that's a rare variation. I believe it originates in the mountains of "Gettingitdone" in China. ;)

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I would first stick the augers in some vinegar and use the wire brush.

Nice find b.t.w!

Thanks, I've far more here than I will ever find a use for so I suspect that most of them will get put on eBay.

They are all stamped with a size in inches, some bear a makers mark though most are too faint to read. One is quite clearly stamped 1915...

They have an interesting construction; most seem to have the eye cast, which is welded to the main rod, which is welded to the screw part if the auger. Very interesting to see how they are put together. Some of the eyes need some tlc though.

I will oil or wax them once finished cleaning up.

Andy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I bought five (two with eyes, three with brace ends) and a lovely wood and brass handle for the brace ends - cost me £15 on the bay (collected)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Date stamps are most often found on military kit, anything with a Great War date on it is at a premium at the moment. I notice at least one is stamped as a Sorby, which is top quality kit. Condition after restoration is the big thing, deep pitting puts folk off, even if all the rusts all gone.

ive not seen many sets turn up to be honest so can't say what the going rate is. New, western made quality ones cost a absolute fortune, if you can find them.

atb

tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are very right Tom - green woodworkers pay upwards of £30 for one new one - don't know why the old ones aren't more expensive?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE