A Little Lunch Time Bimble [pic heavy]

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok so after three days solid of looking out of the office window, enough was enough. I turned the phone off, shut down the computer, grabbed my bimble bag and went for a walk.

I decided on Coombe Abbey country park on the outskirts of Coventry. Mainly as I have a parking pass. It was mobbed with mums and kids enjoying the weather but once I got through the main drag the far side of the woods was quiet as always.

Views of the abbey (now a hotel)

8e4801ee.jpg

818d09a3.jpg

To the rear of the site the rangers have been busy with the chain saws. Apparently there is a plan to return the site to how it was when Capability Brown first laid it out. Im not convinced!

e7e616e3.jpg

I soon came across the perfect spot for a brew. Kitchen up top and bum on the bottom. could have been made for the job.

aead638d.jpg

Now as it was a nice sunny day I had already decided that it would be a solar fire to light the trangia so I took some cramp ball and a fresnel lens as well as a little jute cordage.

Other items shown are my saw, new Helle Eggen knife purchased from Ratbag at a recent meet, Trangia, pot stand and windscreen, and my current favourite bit of kit the swiss army bottle and cup. I find I use a lot less water and its just the right size for a brew

3c9456fa.jpg

here is the fire making process. I used a slightly bigger bit of cramp ball than I normally would so it would show up well on the camera. The fresnel lens ignited the cramp ball immediately which was quickly blown into flame to light the trangia

56d42038.jpg

66aba214.jpg

Brew on and a stirrer quickly fashioned from a stick.

20528d40.jpg

A nice hot chocolate and the view from my perch

528639fe.jpg

5dcb3d1b.jpg

It was only just over an hour but i felt much better for making the effort to get out and enjoy some sun and some quiet.

Reactions: Larry Robinson

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Great pics and thanks for sharing, it's gorgeous outside..I did get out for a little bit today to buy some timber but that's about it, maybe a little later...Thanks for sharing goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE