a little local walk

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
and I came accross this nice & large birch polypore and a strange picture which you could call 'Nature bites back' - it even looks like it's smiling too! :) thrives on iron?
birchPolypore.jpg

naturebitesback.jpg

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Thank you for kind words- Nature did all the work!, a wee pocket camera did the rest
I just went for the fresh air, some bannock and Tea brewed on my bush buddy and a few friends who, after a demo, practiced the art of fire lighting with a fire piston- Strange how it always looks easy when others do it - .....then its' your turn!... :eek:
firepiston.jpg

I think they'll stop take the -P- out of me now as they realised it takes practice! - A fab day out was had by all :) and good laughs when they did not believe me when I said the 'Pisse-en-lit' (dandylions) flower heads we edible (as are the leaves) - loads of them there so I had to eat a batch with no vinaigrette- eeeshhh! :rolleyes:

does anyone know what tree this is?
pinktree.jpg

Knife is a Spyderco mini Manix - CPM- S30V
It locks and cutting edge is about 8cm - and about 4mm thick to half way down- very solid- about 160 Grams

I had noticed the stout blade and how sturdy it looked. Thanks for the info.

Once again great pics.

I have no idea what the tree is, I always turn to the UBC for plant identification. Here is a link. http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/

Scroll down to the third section and the first board..or thread...or whatever in that section is plant identification. You do have to start a membership but it is free. Most of the people who answer in this area are scientists so you probably won't get your answers in layman's terms but easy to look up after that.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for link - good find Mistwalker-
I am always on the look out for 'interesting grain' wood for my spoons:)
My favorite has to be the Prunus something or another- that pink one that is blooming now but only for a few weeks before it sheds it's delicate pink petals
Problem is: these are most often found.....in front of people's houses....:rolleyes: Grrrr ! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE