A little Lee Reeves restoration

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is indeed Snufkin. I ordered the maple from Lee when I got it, meaning to replace it when I broke your replacement. I never broke your replacement :) So I have been sat on the maple for a couple of years at least. Been doing some tidying up and decided to put it on.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Please please please PLEASE will you stop putting these pictures up I'm weakening and worry that I'll buy one of these beautiful axes you keep showing me!
Colin

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one :)

I need to replace the leather on mine every 6 months or so, but thats due to heat damage to the leather as i use it to clamp the blades while i take the angle grinder to it. Heat just makes it harder, but over time it will crack and bits come off. I use mine daily though, well at least 5 out of 7. I have a box full of leather offcuts so if you need some more, give me a shout mate..... still need to send you some pineberries lol. I'm terrible :D

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a good point Steve. I've only put wingnuts on the handle end (if it put them on the "non" handle end they would foul the work bench when butting the vice up.

I used them because I like to be able to "reconfigure" things (e.g. swap out the sacrificial wood quickly). I know that makes me weird - but I have so many hobbies that my measly 4m long work bench is inadequate. I like to make things "fast moveable" now.

So al my "bench" tools are clamped to 18mm outdoor ply then clamped to the workbench with F clamps

Bosch Pillar Drill by British Red, on Flickr

Good job too.....here is my new sliding chop saw. I went for a sliding version so that I can cut wood 300mm wide and 75mm deep (12" x 3").

Chop Saw by British Red, on Flickr

As you can see - to give the thing room - I need to extend my workbench forwards so that it is 4' deep. So my next job is to build a moving work bench that can convert the existing one to a "T" shape (with the chop saw in the middle) or a straight line when cutting long timbers or an "L" shape to mitre the end of 4m lengths

All that said though - I should chop the end off those bolts and file them smooth!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sounds much like i do Red. I have a TINY workspace so i always need ot move things. Its a total PITA if i'm honest lol :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Space I have ....and you are welcome to use it....but each job seems to want a different arrangement....sometimes I want a drill in the middle of the bench. Sometimes I want to use the bench for brewing....or sawing or ...well you get the idea.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
well done Red, I always like the clean working areas I see on your posts, usually I make a lot of mess round and get tools dirty all the time. A thing or two I should learn from you...
Another thing is: the axe mask, if it would be hung on right side, would it be possible to take the axe out one hand? Clip mask open and take axe out with only right arm?
I have a wee axe myself and I want to carry it on right side, knife on the left, but I can't work out the best carrying option and this one looks like it could work?...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Milius mate, my preferred (and in my opinion safest) carry method is left side, poll forwards.

Singteck and I devised this system years ago...with two snaps on the axe cover

Baldric2 by British Red, on Flickr

As you can see by undoing both snaps, the axe can be withdrawn without having to lift the helve upwards out of a loop. By carrying it with the bit rearward, withdrawing the axe forwards means the sharp edge is moved away from any possible cuts - not towards them. The axe is also in the correct orientation when brought to the right side.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That's clever and neat this is... :) I skipped a train on a leather group buy this time, but next time I might be getting myself a on that train and buy a large piece of leather for making a few belts and knife sheaths. Italians do good leather I heard, or at least that's what Lithuanian knife makers buy these days.
Cheers Red, again, that Lee Reeves axe looks superb!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE