A little Lee Reeves restoration

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A good while ago, I picked up a tiny Lee Reeves belt axe that had been re-handled and well used

Axe Alone by British Red, on Flickr

I spoke to Lee's lovely wife Charmagne and she sent me over a new helve in Lee's signature fiddle backed maple

It eventually arrived having been mauled by international post :(

Axe, mask and replacement helve by British Red, on Flickr

I have done nothing with it since...until today

I clamped up the axe in a padded vice

2) Padded vice by British Red, on Flickr

and sawed the old helve off

3) Sawn off Helve by British Red, on Flickr

4) Sawn off Head by British Red, on Flickr

I padded and clamped the head in my pillar drill and removed most of the wood from the eye - being careful to avoid the metal wedge

5) Drilling Out old helve by British Red, on Flickr

Back in to the padded vice to tap out the old wood

6) Tapping Out waste wood by British Red, on Flickr

The new helve was rasp fitted, wood and metal wedged (in the same way as I showed on a recent post)

7) New Helve in place by British Red, on Flickr

Danish oil was used to bring up the grain and the head given a good sharpen and polish

8) Sharpened and Danish oiled by British Red, on Flickr

I used some oil dye and was to refinish the mask

9) Re-finished Mask by British Red, on Flickr

and here we have it - a lovely little belt axe that knocks spots off the Gransfors mini in my view - 1080 high carbon bit in a 1018 mild carbon steel body, hand made by one of the finest axe smiths of our generation. I don't pretend its as neat as when Lee made it - the helve picked up a couple of small bruises in transit (tiny cosmetic marks only) and there is one scratch on the cheek - but its a stunning axe!

10) Completed Axe and Mask by British Red, on Flickr

11) Axe in Mask by British Red, on Flickr

Red

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Sweeeeet :)

You should glue some leather to your vice jaws mate, it grips tight still but doesn't mark anything. :) Thats what i have done to all of mine.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Beautiful combo, I always wondered where you got the fiddleback maple. Looks much better with the new helve!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Is it me or did the axe look pretty good before you rehandled it? Don't get me wrong, it's stunning now, but "well used"? Looks a lot newer than any of my axes :D

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
That hatchet looks familiar! Did I sell it to you? If I did it originally had an osage handle which I managed to snap. Looks very nice with the maple. Lees work is fantastic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE