A little jaunt around my hood and deer track to beast (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Had a little bimble round to see what was going on in the parks that run either side of the dual carriage way, I had a fantastic track of a deer from couch to seeing it, here are the pics.:)

It looked a little rainy so thought it might be a good time to go and play with Jon's knife in the wet, but as it turned out the sun came out and it proved a lovely jaunt,
IMGP0058.jpg

Lots of blackberries, nice and ripe, with lots to come,
IMGP0060.jpg

A fair few cooking apples in the abandoned orchard,
IMGP0061.jpg

IMGP0062.jpg

Plenty of sign of deer nibbles on some old logs,
IMGP0064.jpg

IMGP0065.jpg

IMGP0066.jpg

I believe these are Crab Apples?
IMGP0069.jpg

Found a few Cinnabar Caterpillars on a large patch of Ragwort

IMGP0070.jpg

IMGP0071.jpg

IMGP0072.jpg

And and good stock of Sloes for the winter gin replenishment!! Come on the first frosts!
IMGP0073.jpg

IMGP0074.jpg

Can any one help me with these Stools? I think they are Fox, but there full of seeds and died from what i am guessing is a heavy diet of blackberry amongst others, could see any bones or fur in it,

IMGP0075.jpg

IMGP0076.jpg

IMGP0076.jpg

IMGP0080.jpg

They were all within a meter of each other, but seperate and clearly of direent age, maybe a day or two between them judging on the moisture and the state of the grass around each one, they were on what i think is a fox trail,

IMGP0078.jpg

IMGP0079.jpg

I found the scrape that I had followed deer tracks to in the snow over winter, once in it i could see fresh sign moving through the brambles and tall grass leading back into the little grass land I had just been(And no they were not my own tracks), so started to follow,

If you look from center pic bottom, take a tall arc around the fence, this is the first track I saw,
IMGP0081.jpg

it handrails the sloes towards a track cut by the power comp to maintain there over head lines,
IMGP0082.jpg

see the shine of the grass going straight away from center of pic,
IMGP0084.jpg

found some droppings

IMGP0083.jpg

Leads me down into this clear cutting,
IMGP0085.jpg

HMMMmmm! Lime!

IMGP0087.jpg

IMGP0088.jpg

Found some deer nibblings, and more poo!
IMGP0089.jpg

IMGP0090.jpg

And a hoof print, center of pic, going to try making it a negative to bring out the details hopefully,
IMGP0092.jpg

IMGP0093.jpg

IMGP0094.jpg

Again, you can see the trail shining back at you from the freshly brushed trail through the grass,

IMGP0095.jpg

IMGP0096.jpg

IMGP0098.jpg

Then I saw a little movement about 70 meters up the trail, stopped, dropped and started snapping at full digital zoom, then slowly advanced as slowly as needed but as fast as i could, The Roe male was kind of fixated on the same spot in the fence line, I wanted to see why,

IMGP0099.jpg

IMGP0100.jpg

IMGP0102.jpg

IMGP0103.jpg

IMGP0104.jpg

IMGP0105.jpg

IMGP0106.jpg

IMGP0107.jpg

IMGP0108.jpg

Once I got close enough I hopped up on the fence to see that he had a doe with him, I reckon she was having a feed in the little ditch while he was keeping obs, so when I tipped up he didnt run off as he was on guard, it was a great moment as I slowly moved closer he moved towards me, both not really threatening each other, but staying in view, real cool!
IMGP0110.jpg

IMGP0112.jpg

IMGP0113.jpg

Dont forget not all sign is on the ground, I must have picked this up as I was tailing them, we had rain all day up untill I went out:rolleyes:
IMGP0117.jpg

Found a big meadow Ants nest,

IMGP0119.jpg

And some possible noggins!

IMGP0122.jpg

Found this Antler rubbingon a Downy Birch, there was a scrape directly below the tree trunk,
IMGP0124.jpg

IMGP0125.jpg

I'm 6' and the rubbings stopped at just above my hip,
IMGP0127.jpg

Stood where this trail ended, on a concrete path looking back down the trail, now just on to a wander through the blackwater trail,
IMGP0128.jpg

Brum brum!

IMGP0133.jpg

IMGP0134.jpg

and out onto Holly Hill,
IMGP0135.jpg

I thik this is wild carrot, will have a beeter look during the week and take a guide book with me,
IMGP0139.jpg

Burdock, the flower head has died off, should be a good tuber next year,
IMGP0140.jpg

IMGP0141.jpg

IMGP0142.jpg

Oooh nice bit of water!

IMGP0144.jpg

the horse chesnuts are big already and starting to color, Infact all the trees round here are absolutly hanging with acorns, berries and seeds, is it a sign off a past cold winter or one to come?
IMGP0145.jpg

IMGP0146.jpg

The fishing lakes near Ash,

IMGP0150.jpg

Free lure anyone?

IMGP0151.jpg

Himilayan Balsalm growing all along the bank,
IMGP0153.jpg

IMGP0154.jpg

HOLY POOP! found this off a little track, wonder hwo I need to talk to to bagsy it when the tree dies!!

IMGP0155.jpg

IMGP0156.jpg

IMGP0157.jpg

IMGP0158.jpg

Back home to a lovely little field,

IMGP0159.jpg

Uh OH! The trail starts again!:D

Any Hooooo, Many thanks for reading, hope you had a nice trip, please explore your local parks and trails,

Southey,

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers dude!, I have some video Uploading two, which I hope shows it behaviour better, and the amount of mosy down there, luckily I was lathered in jungle formula heavy DEET!:mosquitos:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Great stuff mate. Good stalking skills to get so close to the deer. Good also that you didn't get my knife all rusty. If that is actually possible. I trust if it is, you will do so :rolleyes:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Great pictures, thanks for sharing:)

Millions of Himilayan Balsalm round by me but never knew what they were called so thanks! Just google'd it and you can eat the seeds:)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hahaha It was my intention to try it for grip in the wet after a good walk, so with slippy hands too, but will just do the same after a run tomorrow,

Cheers guys, really enjoyed the stalk, it is a little wildlife high way down there, currently building a little cabin hide off the side, I ran into a fox the other day when i went to scout out some Lime, a real "I looked at him, He looked at me, we saw each others thoughts" kind of moment, then he just sauntered off into the brambles, FAAAAAANTASTIC!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oh Rly! that's interesting, will have to push through the hedge and see if there's any thing the other side,

The poo certainly, as badgers don't always dig latrines. When ya gotta plop plop, ya gotta plop plop.

Badgers tend to barge right through things and make well ploughed paths and tunnels through undergrowth. Just like your pics. Foxes tend to slink and go with nature. They aren't ones to barge through stuff like badgers.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
And the next two,

[video=youtube;k2FIGrcivGI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2FIGrcivGI[/video]

[video=youtube;Hd2ig6hW528]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd2ig6hW528[/video]

face_palm_by_Draculasaurus.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE