A little charcoal making inc a few pics!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Well my normal charcoal retort is a sweetie tin in the livingroom stove. Not very quick but perfect charcoal. I wanted to scale thinks up a bit, but was always frightened of offending the neighbours with the thick plume of smoke.

Enter the afterburner charcoal kiln. I take absolutely no credit for it's invention at all :).

Two 25l paint drums. Holes around the side of both and the bottom cut out of one. Stacked on top of each other you have a burner and chimney with holes in the side for secondary air to enter. Really like a wood gas stove in a vertical configeration (in my head anyway).

End result was superb charcoal and only 3 sticks that didn't turn. This would also make a cracking heater if scalled down to 1gallon paint tins for sitting around at night.

Burner stacked with joiners off cuts.
001 (526x600).jpg

Afterburner fitted.
003 (437x600).jpg

Just a wee wiff o' smoke.
005 (452x600).jpg

Gasification very quickly.
007 (470x600).jpg

Burning well now.
013 (450x600).jpg

Barrel after 1 hour, glowing red hot.
002 (545x600).jpg

The finished black gold.
003 (493x600).jpg

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Do you have a preferred wood? This looks like a good solution.

I get a mix of white/red/oak and mahogany from the joiners. I've done all oak in the house set up. That makes super hot charcoal. Due to the volume I'm just doing mixed batches but for a clean one hour burn I'm more than happy with the return.

Loads on www if you're interested. Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE