A little bit political but ! What’s you view

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
71 views as of 20:23 and no comments. I suspect because everyone no matter how cautious fears it will become too political far to quickly.

With regards to the speakers comments upon us ( in the established West ) telling the developing third world nations exactly ' how ' they should develop and what criteria they need to follow then I tend to agree its a pretty pointless exercise in itself and stinks in someways of hypocrisy.

Betterment and self development is something that tends to get supported for the individual by society in many cultures but how can we do that on a global scale/stage acting as some sort of grandparent type figure that has in effect had alot of 'their' and light in the historical spotlight of passing time and made their own mistakes? whilst telling others how to live??

Reactions: Ozmundo

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
It’s an honest view, it’s sort of telling us we need the brains of the world to find even better solutions than we have now and not just stand by and complain/protest. Pro active.

Reactions: TeeDee

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Personally I don't have much confidence in technology to provide solutions to climate change. If that were the case then wouldn't it be reasonable to expect some noticeable improvement already? A simple graph of technological advancement correlating with reduced emissions? So far the complete opposite is true. Sure, some breakthrough could be just around the corner but we could be chasing that eidolon for months, years or decades. It's not enough for something to be theoretically viable, it must be practical, scalable and economically feasible.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is a lot that could start a political disagreement, if only due to the "jokes" made at the expense of the people concerned about climate change.

One thing I picked up on which I think anyone who feels that the speaker was speaking truth should investigate, is his citing that the UK is responsible for just 2% of world CO2 emissions. Citing in such a way that it sounds like the UK is a tiny player and can have almost no impact.

Now I don't know what the truth is, I haven't done full research, but I have seen enough to be suspicious whether such low figures include the off-shoring of our manufacturing. If you buy a Kia, or a Samsung, is the CO2 involved in its production attributed to the UK, or Korea? In the past, people wanting to make it sound like the UK was doing more to cut emissions glossed over the fact that shifting manufacturing (and pollution) to Asia wasn't the same as the UK being responsible for fewer emissions. Also, 2% of world total for a country our size and population... Before you can really conclude what that 2% means you need to know how that compares with other countries, both total and per capita.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Personally I don't have much confidence in technology to provide solutions to climate change. If that were the case then wouldn't it be reasonable to expect some noticeable improvement already? A simple graph of technological advancement correlating with reduced emissions? So far the complete opposite is true. Sure, some breakthrough could be just around the corner but we could be chasing that eidolon for months, years or decades. It's not enough for something to be theoretically viable, it must be practical, scalable and economically feasible.
I saw someone talking about the difficulty in knowing whether what you do has a positive effect. They said that there were considerable error margins in models where there could be overlap between what might happen if you do X, do Y or do nothing. Also, we can look at where we were, and where we are, and say, surely we would have seen an improvement...but maybe what we are seeing is better than what we would have seen if we had done something else (or done nothing).

Its a bit like being lost in the woods. There is a strong motivation to "Just DO SOMETHING!!", which is usually a bad idea, but doing nothing is also bad and it takes time to figure out which less bad option to take, and longer still to see how close you got to the least bad.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
But technology can support population reduction.
The population of Ethiopia in 1960 was approx 22 million people,in 2021 that had risen to almost 117 million,religion plays a big part in the increase,with on average 4 births per woman.The West bangs on about climate change,but as that lad in the video implies,we are small potatoes in polluting the Earth.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The population of Ethiopia in 1960 was approx 22 million people,in 2021 that had risen to almost 117 million,religion plays a big part in the increase,with on average 4 births per woman.The West bangs on about climate change,but as that lad in the video implies,we are small potatoes in polluting the Earth.
Per capita consumption....
Those folk in Ethiopia, how many had fridges with CFCs, bought spray cans with CFCs? Had a lot of cars on the roads there over that time? Use a lot of electricity per family? Burn a lot of gas heating Ethiopian homes and offices? Lots of huge infrastructure projects using steel and concrete?

I am a long way from "woke" but I think that was a straw man argument, and as such it doesn't really help the position you appear to be trying to defend.

I am sure I saw a TED lecture about birth rate falling in line with increasing standard of living. Worth looking for maybe.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The pressure on having children in developing countries is the need for manual labour. The solution is education, so they have more opportunities to make a living.

Have followed Konstantin for several years. He's a sharp guy imo, Jewish first generation immigrant from Russia. Though it's not the first time I've heard this argument made, and do agree with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
I was responding to the premise that technology can support population reduction,not if the population dont want "our" change,which to be quite fair is really patronising.The reasons for so many children boils down to basic needs,mostly working to support themselves on their farms,oh,abd its also seen as a gift from God,now thats the kicker.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There is a lot that could start a political disagreement, if only due to the "jokes" made at the expense of the people concerned about climate change.

One thing I picked up on which I think anyone who feels that the speaker was speaking truth should investigate, is his citing that the UK is responsible for just 2% of world CO2 emissions. Citing in such a way that it sounds like the UK is a tiny player and can have almost no impact.

Now I don't know what the truth is, I haven't done full research, but I have seen enough to be suspicious whether such low figures include the off-shoring of our manufacturing. If you buy a Kia, or a Samsung, is the CO2 involved in its production attributed to the UK, or Korea? In the past, people wanting to make it sound like the UK was doing more to cut emissions glossed over the fact that shifting manufacturing (and pollution) to Asia wasn't the same as the UK being responsible for fewer emissions. Also, 2% of world total for a country our size and population... Before you can really conclude what that 2% means you need to know how that compares with other countries, both total and per capita.

2% is huge for our country size considering much of our rubbish is exported, 60% of plastic waste for instance. What happens to it after it’s been swept under the carpet (sorry, I meant responsibly exported for correct disposal) is anybody’s guess. It could be buried, burned, some is turned into bottles and bags, but I know the emissions can’t be attributed to the UK if they didn’t originate here.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I’ve been called a snowflake so often this WOK business hasn’t
Penetrated my personal zeitgeist.
The speaker looks all Downton Abbey trad in his Dinner suit ( no cummerbund or waistcoat? Barbarian) in the grand tradition of
British School debate. Does he have a clue how remote from a Guatemalan farmer standing in the rain trying to feed his family he is?
We are nearing the end of our storms in California. They are NOW reporting the death toll and financial losses. Initial coverage was the flooding in Montecito with Ellen Degenerate live-streaming her flooded lawn and that Harry and Megan shared the same disaster with Oprah Winfrey. They just found a homeless girl dead from exposure: A victim of child rape, lived under a tarp strung among juniper bushes and rats within walking distance of our mass shooting.
So Jordan Peterson, once compelling even in disagreement,
This wannabe Oscar Wilde phrase turner and all the haves can take their flooded lawns and go pound sand. I need to look up WOK

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I’ve been called a snowflake so often this WOK business hasn’t
Penetrated my personal zeitgeist.
The speaker looks all Downton Abbey trad in his Dinner suit ( no cummerbund or waistcoat? Barbarian) in the grand tradition of
British School debate. Does he have a clue how remote from a Guatemalan farmer standing in the rain trying to feed his family he is?

We are nearing the end of our storms in California. They are NOW reporting the death toll and financial losses. Initial coverage was the flooding in Montecito with Ellen Degenerate live-streaming her flooded lawn and that Harry and Megan shared the same disaster with Oprah Winfrey. They just found a homeless girl dead from exposure: A victim of child rape, lived under a tarp strung among juniper bushes and rats within walking distance of our mass shooting.
So Jordan Peterson, once compelling even in disagreement,
This wannabe Oscar Wilde phrase turner and all the haves can take their flooded lawns and go pound sand. I need to look up WOK

THAT particular speakers heritage is Russian.

The sentence about ' Does he have a clue how remote from a Guatemalan farmer standing in the rain trying to feed his family he is?" had me in smiles. America is an interesting place.

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
It always pays to be wary of folk who generate hysteria and fear whilst also rushing forward with a solution.
As with many of the current 'issues', time and access to information seems to me, to be what is needed to reach any kind of meaningful conclusion.
In a time when open debate is discouraged and having the 'wrong opinion' is met with calls to destroy your livlihood and remove you from society, it's no easy thing.

Reactions: Ystranc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE