A Late Summer Wander (pic heavy)

I went on a walk up at Prentice Cooper WMA. It was really nice out today the weather was perfect. My walk wound around through a mix of dirt roads, fields and woods.

I like the looks of this prairie grass, looks like it would be good for tinder and for for making a sleeping mat, maybe even good for making cordage.

DSC_2796.jpg

DSC_2799.jpg

DSC_2798.jpg

Lots of Autumn Olive, the birds will be well fed.

DSC_2758.jpg

DSC_2762.jpg

This looks to be a non poisonous Sumac....

DSC_2835.jpg

DSC_2827.jpg

DSC_2830.jpg

But this sure looks like the more toxic variety.

DSC_2816.jpg

DSC_2815.jpg

Lots of insects enjoying the late summer flowers.

DSC_2779.jpg

DSC_2899.jpg

DSC_2895.jpg

DSC_2907.jpg

I found some Ocoee. Not a lot of it up here, but scattered out here and there.

DSC_2858cropped-1.jpg

DSC_2853.jpg

DSC_2867.jpg

I stopped here for a bit and whittled and sanded on the spoon a little more.

DSC_2921.jpg

DSC_2923.jpg

My blade-ware. I'm glad I had that leather around to make the sheath for the machete, it was cool having two Fiddlebacks on my belt.

DSC_2926.jpg

Then I continued on through the woods a ways.

DSC_2920.jpg

DSC_2930.jpg

DSC_2927.jpg

Not sure what this is...looks like grapes though.

DSC_2936.jpg

DSC_2947.jpg

DSC_2949.jpg

Ran across another hornet's nest. I've heard you could tell how bad of a winter it was going to be by how close to the ground they build their nests. The last one I found was in a hollow and about 10 feet off the ground, this one is on top of a rise and it is about three or four inches off the ground.

DSC_2956.jpg

Passed through a stand of Hickories and a squirrel's dining room on my way back to the truck.

DSC_2959.jpg

I'm really not sure what this plant is...but this is two ours later...I'm thinking possible aphrodisiac ? :eek:

DSC_2961.jpg

Then a couple of sunset shots as the day came to a close and time to head home.

DSC_2965.jpg

DSC_2966.jpg

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Lovely shots there, some really nice colours coming out now at this time of year.

Thanks for sharing.

Lovely shots there, some really nice colours coming out now at this time of year.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Nag, glad you enjoyed the photos.

Yep, the colors are already starting to turn and the first leaves are falling. We are finally getting to my favorite time of year :)

Nice escape for 10 minutes, thanks. :)

Glad you liked the post. Escapes are always nice, I get a lot of them here myself.

some very nice pics there.
thanks

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.

Great as always Brian, thanks for posting.

Thanks Andy, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Great pics chap, thank you.

Thanks southey, glad you liked them

nice.

The plant with spiky seed heads looks like it is Datura stramonium (thorn apple or Jimson weed) -- a rich source of alkaloids:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

A long and intesting history in those parts. Also have very nice flowers - my office "bonsai" one has just had its second flower.

Thank you, another mentioned those to me as well. In researching I think you're right. They do have some really nice flowers.

Great pictures again Brian as always,love those bugs.Thanks for sharing again friend.
Darren

Thanks Darren, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I do seem to have a thing for photographing bugs don't I? I find it fascinating to study them larger than life on the screen when I get the right shots...I use some of them for desk tops at full screen.

Thanks for sharing i have to say, the more i see that knife the more i want one

Thank you, I can honestly say the more I use it the more I like it...and I loved it the day I opened it :)

Always great to see your pics Brian, keep em coming

Thanks Rich, I'm glad you enjoy the photos.

Don't worry...seems I can't stand even running out to the store without taking my camera anymore...:eek:

thanks for sharing :)

Thanks Malente, I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE