A kukri restoration

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
This was an old, old kukri blade that arrived for a handle. (From the same owner as this one: Boning knife )

The back of the blade had obviously been hit lots, there's a very 'healthy' patina on the blade and some nicks out of the edge.

I've done a new handle with a thick copper bolster, red and black spacer and walnut for the rest of the handle.

I textured the copper as the plain surface was just too clean in contrast to the blade.

The handle is not the normal kukri shape but fits in the hand well. I've left it thinner at the front for closer work but nice and wide at the back to support round the hand when chopping.

The edge is going to get a gentle tidy up but nothing more - it's only destined to be a kindling splitter now!!

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice job there, I like to see old tools being brought back to life, and the life story being left to show, not my fave things kukri's, this one looks sweet, clour balance looks good as well.. If you know what I mean :)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thanks chaps. This is the last of a handful of old tools that I've had from people to get back to a usable state and I must admit that it's been really nice to get them back in service.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one Stew. What did you use for the handle..a bowling pin? lol :) It does look pretty damn big, perhaps its just the camera perspective?

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice work Stew, I do like the copper bolster, hammer finish looks real nice, I must give that a try on one of my many pending projects.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE