a hatchet head with a deformed eye.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
PA120005.jpg

PA120004.jpg

PA120001.jpg

its about 1 pound in weight

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'm no expert but would say no.Even if it's possible to salvage it,the amount of work would make it not worthwhile,at least for me.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
you'd basically have to chop away the back of the eye and reform a new section then weld it on. - looks too damaged to just reform it.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
could a smithy heat it and bash a formed section in to re shape it.......
I bet a 'pro smithy' would cost too much to be cost effective but there must be some on here that would do it for a trade or some thing.
is there a story behind this blade or is it just an interrest?
I do think re furbishing old tools is very satisfying even if most folks can't see the point.
Good luck

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
A smith might approach a repair thus:

(1) grind out as much rust, dirt and misc. junk as possible
(2) hammer-weld the split (the success of which will depend on the skill of the smith and the exact steel used in the making of the axe) reforming as much of the mushrooming as possible at the same time
(3) reform the eye using a punch or drift hoping that the weld holds (punch may need to be made or adapted to suit)
(4) clean up, regrinding, heat treat (hoping the axe doesn't go 'tink' on quench), sharpening

Time: perhaps 1-2 hours considering it'd need babying. Shop-rate typicaly £20+ per hour. Economical, no. Interesting, yes.

Of course it might be plugged with an arc-welder and a suitably shaped plug. Lots of cleaning, pre-heat and post-heat with a torch, possible re-heat-treatment and lots of time messing about with files trying to get the eye right again.

If it were mine I'd clean it up and use it as a talking point in the workshop, at meets, down pub... (okay perhaps not last one.)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A smith might approach a repair thus:

(1) grind out as much rust, dirt and misc. junk as possible
(2) hammer-weld the split (the success of which will depend on the skill of the smith and the exact steel used in the making of the axe) reforming as much of the mushrooming as possible at the same time
(3) reform the eye using a punch or drift hoping that the weld holds (punch may need to be made or adapted to suit)
(4) clean up, regrinding, heat treat (hoping the axe doesn't go 'tink' on quench), sharpening

Time: perhaps 1-2 hours considering it'd need babying. Shop-rate typicaly £20+ per hour. Economical, no. Interesting, yes.

Of course it might be plugged with an arc-welder and a suitably shaped plug. Lots of cleaning, pre-heat and post-heat with a torch, possible re-heat-treatment and lots of time messing about with files trying to get the eye right again.

If it were mine I'd clean it up and use it as a talking point in the workshop, at meets, down pub... (okay perhaps not last one.)

either way you are looking at another heat treatment of the blade which would cost you too. - for the amount of money you could buy a new gransfors.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
well IMO you should just bin it or maybe use the metal for something else. - it is pretty buggered as an axe.

I know I'd charge you at least £50 to get it useable.

Andy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive just handed it to my metalworking friend, see what he will make of it

it only cost me 50p, so Im not bothered if it cant be saved

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
No offence bud but you clearly are. - you have already said that you have two GB axes and you've been told that it would be more trouble than it's worth. yet you are still giving it a go.

frankly I think you got robbed for 50p. - I wouldn't have paid 5p.

still - I wait to be proven wrong.

turning it into a wedge for splitting - now there's an idea :D
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE