A "Guess what I am going to make" & then a "work in progress" thread!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
i'm sticking with bull whip, although the someones got it almost rights got me wondering

Well, as the next pictures will give the game away,

DSCF5250.jpg

DSCF5249.jpg

I'll declare Blacktimberwolf the winner! I am making a 4 plait stockwhip, rather than a bullwhip. I doubt it will be a very good whip, they are quite complicated when it's your first one and I am using material which are not going to be the best to make a long lasting whip, so it will probably be a decorative rather than a working one. Anyway it is streching my leather work skills, which is a good thing.

The leather is a thin vegtan, 2mm, when it should really be 3mm. But I got it so will use that. So I made a core ( what look like a tapered rat's tail in the pics above. I am not sure if it's going to be big enough, or even thin enough, as the size of the core should fill the gap inside the plaiting perfectly. If too big, there will be gaps in the plaiting, if too thin, there will be gaps between the core and the plaiting, making for a poor whip.

Each strand goes from 12mm wide down to 4 mm wide at the tip. The length of the strips is about 6ft (!.8m) THe professionals whipmaker can skive (bevel) each strands on both sides by hand with a knife (!) I used a bevelling tool, but I don't think the leather strip will lie together as neatly as they should because of that. We'll see when it's done!

THe next step is going to be making the 4 strand plait whip itself.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I think you've made a mistake there jojo, I only got it half right with fetishist......billybob's the winner, so the £1,500 prize money is rightfully his.......

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Another couple of pics.

I have now done the plaiting and added the fall and the cracker. The leather I started with was 5ft 10" and the 4 plait whip I ended with is just 4ft long. With the fall and cracker, it's just 7ft long.

DSCF5252.jpg

DSCF5253.jpg

Now it's the handle to be made.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I have now finished my first whip. I really enjoyed making this, and I'll definitely make another one or two. I have been able to get a few cracks out of it, and a few hits on my hands and the back of my arm too...It's a good idea to wear a thick, long sleeves shirt and a leather glove...:rolleyes:

DSCF5257.jpg

DSCF5258.jpg

DSCF5259.jpg

DSCF5260.jpg

There are a few firsts in this: the 8 plait, 1/2 plaited handle, the Turk's head on the end of the handle, the Spanish Ring knot at the top of the handle.

The fall (the thin bit of leather between the 4 plait whip and the cracker) didn't last more than 3 or 4 tries at cracking the whip before it broke. I replaced it with a fall made with 550, de-cored, and doubled up, paracord, as I am out of good strong leather at the moment. I had made the cracker with bow string polyester thread, but it didn't work so well, possibly due to the wax in the thread, so I replaced it with some unwaxed thread and that worked much better.

The leather handle is finishewd with multi-coats of shellac. The whip itseof is heavily dressed with Mink Oil (which is not an oil but afairly thick grease)

Not the most refined of whip, it is nevertheless a very satisfying result which is going to ensure I am going to make some more of them!

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That's a cracker Jojo!

I really like whips (oo err missus) - they are great fun.

Perhaps a video of it cracking??

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE