A great night's sleep

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
What are the must have things for you to get - not just an adequate or safe sleep out of doors, but a really refreshing one?

I've been feeling weird all moot, I've slept so poorly, which is odd because I've slept out entire summers before and liked it much better than inside. I remembered when I did that, I didn't have an air mat - so I ditched it, and lo! I have awoken feeling awake.

Getting the balance right between a safe quantity of warm layers vs overheating is important for me too

I love my military Arctic sleeping bag, it's awfully bulky and no fun to carry, but the extra weight is nicer to sleep under, I can't do a thin blanket.

What are the tricks you've learned for sleeping better? What are your luxury essentials for some decent kip?

Reactions: John59

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Things I find key:

- Not drinking alcohol, or if I do just a very small amount earlier in the evening
- Not eating too late
- Having appropriate sleep setup for the temperature/weather conditions
- Brushed teeth and general hygiene routine
- Hydrated and often I’ll take an electrolyte tablet
- Melatonin supplement (only a low dose, about 2mg)

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
For me a decent pillow and kip mat are the main things that affect my sleep.
Im yet to find the perfect camping pillow but I'm currently trying a nemo pillow that might be "the one".
Current set up is:
Exped versa 5, heavy but warm and thick
EE down quilt, good for side, front sleeper
Nemo Fillo king pillow right thickness and softness and doesn't bounce

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
- ear plugs if others are near by
- a good meal at the end of the day
- a warm hat and warm socks if it's cold

I find that the first night's sleep outside is always a little disturbed, due to temp changes. I sleep very warm so I can over heat. I've never used a 'winter' sleeping bag, at most a 3 season. This summer I've done well with a poncho liner and an air or roll mat. (Air mat in the hills, roll mat in the woods).

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’ve used one of those little wire and canvas camp beds for many years.

I cover it with sheep skins and use a sheep skin rolled up as a pillow.

I use a Snugpack 5 season (guess I’d rate it 3 - 3.5 season for its age and mine.)

I use a fleece liner. I might use it on top of the sleeping bag, inside the partially closed sleeping bag, or zipped up to my neck with the sleeping bag also zipped up and hood pulled round my face.

Comfortable and warm.

I am very fortunate and appreciate that. Love the dark days and sleep easily.
I like to be well fed before bed.
Alcohol? Sometimes yes, often no. Last weekend, quite a lot, there was a party.

An appropriately warm sleeping system is essential as I use a single skinned unheated polycotton tent all year round.

If you sleep well at home then you’ll learn to sleep well outdoors given enough opportunity. If you don’t sleep well at home then try and fix that first.

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I just try and make sure I am good and knackered. Can fall asleep on my nose then, dreamless.

What wakes me is overheating, so a breathable bed is good. I have a -10 and a -20 bag, but I tend to sweat in them. So, if I can, and it's not always the best solution, I do appreciate the opportunity to use a blanket instead when it arises.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
Things I've found help me are as follow:
- not being too hot; ideally, warm and dry
- sleeping in my hammock. Obviously, that does depend on having trees nearby!
- not eating too late and keeping alcohol. intake to a socially acceptable minimum.
- reading a novel
- being weary - not exhausted or knackered, just comfortably tired.

I've never really had any difficulties getting to sleep but I am aware of being a snorer so I apologise to any fellow campers within earshot, past, present and future, for the borborygmous rumblings from me. It's definitely not intentional!

After experimenting for many years, I find that keeping my legs and feet warm is key to a good night's sleep. I tend to sleep in temperatures as low as 40F (4C) in summer because I camp above 6,000 feet (1,828 meters) elevation.

I use a 20F (-6C) bag, which is not particularly warm or bulky. I wear lightweight long thermal bottoms. And most recently, I had some down booties made for wearing on my feet inside my sleeping bag. There are several companies in the US that custom-make the booties to your specifications (color, amount of fill, etc.). The booties turned out to be a game-changer, as having warm feet allows me to drift right off to sleep.

Note that different people may have different factors that contribute to a good night's sleep. So you will need to experiment and see what works best for you.

I hope this helps,

- Woodsorrel

Reactions: gibson 175

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE