A great day in our wood with our Medieval Combat group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
What could be better, decent weather, bows, swords and food along with the fun of a group of friends being silly?

I laid on a couple of animal faced foam targets and our 3D deer. Some were experienced archers and sone beginners but by the end of the day all were hitting what the aimed at. Mixed bows, recurves, composite longbow and reenactment weight (30lb) longbows.

Sword and buckler work along with trying out langsax against saxon sword takes on a new feel in a wood instead of a gym.

I say being silly was part of it but archery and combat discipline were automatically adopted when shooting or sparring, as it should be.
14718691_10154524460751153_9143631425035207709_n.jpg

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Very nice! Good to see a nice mix of interests out in the woods.

Frankly, your interests pretty much mirror my own. I shoot with the Poor's Estate Archers and train H.E.M.A. with the York Free Fencers Guild. I think I'm right in saying that you are also a member of the Dinghy Cruising Association.

Well done for getting a weekend like this organised.

Al

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not a member of the DCA but in contact etc with them for years. Dinghy now sold, regretfully, but beach launching was becoming too heavy work and the theft of the wheels from my launching trolley was the catalyst. Still have coracle and kayaks though and we are planning the build of a prehistoric boat in Penzance.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Looks like you had a great day!
Nice to see people fascinated by medieval swordplay here! I´ve done some of it myself, mainly on horseback, but unfortunately I had to put down the horse that was capable of this kind of pressure.
I hopefully have a new warhorse in one of my Spanish horses. I´m going to try to introduce him to it this week, and if he seems to be up for it, and the weather permits it, we will be joining a small medieval show in December :)

A couple of old photos from practice in our group:

Hestival by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

Hestival by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

10398836_108653071789_5045572_n by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Excellent Arya, we always need cavalry in battles.To give tone to what would otherwise be vulgar brawls.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Yes, haha! It is good to have cavalry if there is to much hugging going on in the battlefield. Nice to part the ocean of people once in a while ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE