a good trapping book

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi guys
as i have some spare money i thought i would purchuse a book on trapping,so can anybody reccomend a good one that tells you what traps for what animals, where to set them, what to bait them with ect.
i dont know anything about trapping so i thought a book would be a good start
thanks leon

leon-1

Leon, Ed and Stuart are probably the main 2 people to talk to about this for the UK enviroment.

Effectively most all traps in the UK are banned with the exeption of traps for vermin (rat or mouse), others which take prey alive are used in conservation.

The only traps you can use in the UK are basically snares and there use is specific to species (if you lay a snare for a rabbit that is what you catch in it).

Snares in the UK are also not allowed to be locking, they have to be free running and IIRC they are not allowed to be sprung.

As I say though ED or Stuart will probably be along to tell you what books can be bought and what there contents and types of trap are (the only unfortunate thing is although you can set them and practice making them here, legally you will not be able to use them for catching anything).

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
tom brown's wildness survival book it's a usa book but out of my books it seems to have the most traps in good read as well. deadfalls mainly there's loads or lofty's book but some in there could kill folk spears etc don't get "done" for It hope that helps ..karl keep it to the backyard

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks sorry i dont mean traps i mean snares, the legal ones lol sorry about that
leon

leon-1

No problems Leon, Ed has mentioned some along the lines of "the poachers handbook" and such like. Ed is a mine of information on such things, but I think that there is some information on the "required reading" under fair game, have a little skim through.

Or if you wish I can change the name of the thread to "good books on snareing" and we can see what turns up:)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i cant seem to find 'required reading' could you provide a link please
i have just been reading an awful lot in the fair game forum but still couldnt find it, i have also done a search
tanks leon

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
leon-b said:
i cant seem to find 'required reading' could you provide a link please
i have just been reading an awful lot in the fair game forum but still couldnt find it, i have also done a search
tanks leon

This will be a nice starter:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13729&highlight=book+trapping

There are some specific books about snaring on this list - and if you ever get bored, you maybe want and try to spot it in the picture further down the thread :lmao:

EDIT: Found the recommended reading list: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=5877

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Didnt think snares were such a huge subject - S.T.M.D. (Strangle-Tangle-Mangle-Dangle).

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Snares are a huge subject in themselves, but the laws in the UK are very strict and the number of sets which can be employed here can be counted on one hand.

a couple of fairly good books on trapping would be "Deadfalls and Snares by AR Harding" and "Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping" this last title can be downloaded for free from the BCUK downloads page

unfortunately although these books are quite good they are still a little vague, I have yet to come across a really good book on traditional trap designs and there use which I could recommend to people.

many books include a section containing drawings of traps, such as the aforementioned "sas survival" and others but unfortunately many of these traps are miss-drawn and poorly explained (some of them defy physics :confused: )

trapping is not just learning about the intricacies of trap making though, that’s just scratching the surface, you can build the finest trap and it wont get you anything until you learn how to use it. Currently The only real way to learn trapping is to spend time with people who know the traps and animals of the area in which you wish to operate.

if you can get yourself to wales I am sure that either Ed or myself can teach you what you need to know for the british enviroment

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks stuart
i cant make it to wales so thats out, thats why i thought a book would be good, i am very interested in learning about trapping, i know it is best tought face to face but i thought a book maybe a starter
thanks leon

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Good question Leon-b. Ive started to get very interested in trapping in connection with conservation. I know, it sounds a bit odd but trapping, conservation and the fur trade in places like canada have gone along way to play their part in saving many wilderness areas. The only thing I would like to add is, please dont trap unless you are going to eat the amimal. The true experts in trapping have to be the native peoples of this world. They hold all animal life with the deepest respect.
There ya go..I got my pennys worth in.

Moko

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE