A good sleep-pad for the cold months( minus 2 to minus 7 celcius)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emil0509

May 22, 2013
Denmark
As the title, i live in Denmark. And i want a good sleeping pad or atleast some advise of some good choices but first..

I have these regular sleep mats made of some cheap foam, I think is okay thick though but again(weighs nothing). My first question would you upgrade to some Therm-A-Rest type which there is alot of talk and videos about. If yes which model it will primary be used in a tent or some other tarp setup. I just want to be warm and sleep allright. If the only benefit is the comfort is is then worth it? I have no back issues, and never had :)

What is your opinion?

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
When I sleep out in those temperatures I use a very cheap supermarket foam pad with a heat-reflective metallised top layer on it under my AlpKit Dozer inflatable. Perfectly comfortable and highly recommended if you can carry the bulk (and the price).

Peter

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I love my Exped Downmat, but I wouldn't fancy spending a cold night on it if it popped - it would be like sleeping on the ground. I think I might take a closed cell foam mat to put underneath it if the weather were going to be cold, just in case.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If its going to be really cold I use a thermarest dreamtime... It's amazing, if a little bulky and expensive.

i am considering a down mat though as I have heard nothing but great things about them.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I love my Exped Downmat, but I wouldn't fancy spending a cold night on it if it popped - it would be like sleeping on the ground. I think I might take a closed cell foam mat to put underneath it if the weather were going to be cold, just in case.

Thats my thinking re-arctic trips Ns.
Old Therma-Rest for most UK overnighters.

Chris.

rg598

Native
I use a Thermarest NeoAir All Season pad and I love it. It is very warm and weighs about a pound. It also packs down small. I used to use a closed cell foam pad before, and this was a big upgrade in terms of comfort, insulation, and ease of packing. I've also been thinking about getting the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm, which is supposed to be a little lighter and warmer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE