A First Flask

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi folks,

Finally finished my flask today and was reasonably pleased with how it turned out. The little scuffs on the leather let it down but I suppose it gives it character.

I used the bain marie method ( 2 x 800g blocks of pure bees wax). For the stopper I used a bit of spalted beech for the top, a bit of ash for the plug and a leather disc in between to see if I could get a good seal. The whole lot was put in the wax with the flask and then wiped.

5jzkb8.jpg

241oufm.jpg

It holds just over a pint.

A big thanks must go to Eric Methven for an excellent tutorial.

All the best

Craig

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That looks great !...... hard to believe it's your first flask, Excellent work.......nice colour & finish on the leather too & that's a cool little stopper.................................1.6 Kg of beeswax ! that must be worth a bob or two.

Well done!

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
If you don't mind me asking and please feel free to reply via PM, what did the beeswax cost?

This is something I've wanted to do for a wee while but but have thus far been put off by the cost of beeswax.

Thanks,
Graeme :D

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks folks your feedback is much appreciated.

ateallthepies: Yeah mate the wax seals everything up. Here is Erics tutorial, Very easy to follow and plenty of pics so you can see what you are doing.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74802&highlight=leather+flask

Woodgrain: I bought 4 large blocks of pure bees wax ( approx 800g each) from Paynes Bee Farm ( No association) http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/beeswax-products/

and with tax and shipping it came in at £31.56. Now I only melted 2 blocks and had lots left, but as Eric told me it will all depend on the size of the container you use to melt the wax.

The one I used, is mixing bowl and it holds approx 4 1/2 litres

29eoims.jpg

What was left:

2rm3vw9.jpg

hope that helps

all the best

Craig

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
thanks chaps,

Tengu: Yeah it was the best I could find and im glad as I thought I would have to sell a kidney to get enough.

atb

Craig

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thank you Betty, Im glad it meets your approval and would willingly send it to you our Bushcraft queen .....

( chants:Betty likes my bottle, Betty likes my bottle :p )

atb

Craig

Aug 14, 2011
Merthyr Mawr
Thank you Betty, Im glad it meets your approval and would willingly send it to you our Bushcraft queen .....

( chants:Betty likes my bottle, Betty likes my bottle :p )

atb

Craig

Aw, thanks Craig babe. I already got one though. Eric Methven gave me one. Then afterwards he gave me a bottle! lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE