A first, a second, a third ... and another first!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I went on the Woodsmoke "Woodlander" course at the end of September and was introduced to the dark arts of spoon carving! I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I was determined to finish my spoon properly. It was duly whittled down, sanded and oiled with walnut oil. However, I reckoned if it was worth doing once, it was worth doing again :D ... so I made another spoon in sycamore!

I found that the wood dictates what the spoon looks like and ended up with something rather fancy, but completely impractical ... so I went out to look for a piece of wood that I could carve a "using" spoon from ... back to birch for this one.

Finally, I wanted to get my head around what was involved in making knives so I bought an Enzo Trapper kit from Brisa :lmao:I had no tools for making this other than a file and some wet and dry paper (took ages to file the bolts down and sand the scales to size!). The handle (curly birch) was finished with teak oil and then pure beeswax for final waterproofing. The sheath was wet formed and I might harden it with beeswax.

Enjoy!

1. Woodlander spoon in Birch
1972067894_6c1e617217.jpg

2. Second Spoon in Sycamore
1971241891_2fb9cf2cce.jpg

3. A utility spoon at last - in Birch
1971289609_5627c7eaf4.jpg

4. All spoons together!
1972117926_3a2c8701d0.jpg

5. Ooh, a pretty looking sharp thing :D
1972118904_47c419b4a1.jpg

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Very good job all round. I really like the knife. The spoons are excellent aswell.

Simon.

:thanks: guys! I'm pretty chuffed all round - and I only cut myself once :D right back at the very start.

I'm planning on making a bowl out of some sycamore next - using a burning ember to hollow out the bowl.

I've also bought some firesteel blanks and intend to handle them up and sell 'em on evilbay ... assuming that I ever get round to making them and anyone wants to buy them of course :eek:

Then I'd like to get a bit more adventurous with another knife ... but that is a long way off!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
They are beautifull spoons mate! top stuff! I carticually like the second sycamore spoon!

At a first glance i thousht your knife was a Woodlore one! Well done! Cant wait to see your 4th, 5th and 6th spoons! keep it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE