A Firebow / Punkwood Experiment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
It was a nice day today, the thermometer at the bank said it was 82F / 28C at 12:45 pm today, it's been a while since it was that "cool" at that time of the day. Lately it has been around 98F / 36C with heat indexes of around 110F / 43C. I had a theory I had been wanting to test and therefor an experiment I had been wanting to try. So this evening I headed off to the woods for a bit in search of a large leaf and some punk. Punk is something that is almost always in great supply in the woods here.

I saw a few other things along the way but was limited in photos by the small memory card in my little p&s as the 4 gig is now in the SLR and I haven't bothered to pick up another larger one yet. The large leaf I found was a muscadine leaf, and I noted, looking at a smaller vine, that muscadines don't seem to be such great judges of tree heights.

IMG_2164.jpg

I'm really not quite sure what this is, I've seen a few here and there but never many in one spot.

IMG_2135.jpg

The only mushroom I saw today.

IMG_2109cropped.jpg

The trees seem to be under assault from multiple attackers

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

Then I found the punk I was looking for, time for the experiment.

IMG_2121.jpg

The first step was to burn the spindle into the new hearth-board I had made and cut the notch.

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

The next step was to get a coal.

IMG_2161.jpg

the forth step...of which I didn't take time to snap the picture...was to transfer the coal to the punk and try the punk as an extender/tinder. Then the next step was to blow the coaling punk into a larger coal and use that heat to ignite smaller twigs. This shot was taken as I was blowing the coaling punk into a large hot ember.

IMG_2162.jpg

And the experiment was a success.

IMG_2163.jpg

I'll have to put this to use more later this year as it cools off more. Friction fire is really neat,you really don't need a fire to stay warm...seem multiple attempts alone will keep a body warm :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yay, did you do anything to prep the punk? bow drill is the one thing i seem to practice the most, purely because it's the one method that i have the most randon success/fail ratio with. those speckled pinkish things look interesting, have you cut any open?

Southey.

Yay, did you do anything to prep the punk? bow drill is the one thing i seem to practice the most, purely because it's the one method that i have the most randon success/fail ratio with. those speckled pinkish things look interesting, have you cut any open?

Southey.

Nope, no prep on this. It was the spongy fibrous type so all I did was make a dent for the coal, laid it on top of the coal, inverted, and then started gently blowing on it to bring it to life.

I haven't cut any yet...Seems I always only find them when I am in the middle of looking for something else and low on time. Next time I just need to check it out better or take it home and check it later.

could that thing on the 2nd picture be a gall /oak apple? it's a growth caused by certain insects for their larvae.

I have no idea what it is...

Nice little experiment that!

Drew

Thanks Drew, glad you enjoyed it !

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Never used punk. I must give it a go sometime. Although finding dry stuff at the moment is nigh impossible here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE