A few days on Loch Goil

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Got back late last night from a few days up at Loch Goil. We were blessed with sunshine and flat calm waters one day and torrential downpours and gale force winds the next, a typical Scottish mixed bag.

Our usual camp back on Loch Long had been trashed recently, we found a folding camp chair next to a couple of rubbish bags full of beer bottles and food waste. A bit of a half job lean-to had been built and left, maybe the fact it was built on a stream bed put them off ?
There were also bottles hanging from tree branches which had been used for target practice, we found some of these on a previous visit so somebody else must enjoy this spot too. Why trash it then ? :banghead:

A combination of the damp and long day yesterday has knocked me for six, a severe dose of man flu I had brewing has now taken full control. So now I'm sat at home feeling sorry for myself with bags of damp gear I need to unpack but I just don't have the energy or enthusiasm to tackle it.

A few pics then ...

View from camp on night one
DSC01861.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01868.jpg

At home under the "Big Oak"
DSC01864.jpg

I was up first as usual so crept around camp like a mouse for an hour, got topped up on caffeine with my new Gsi coffee contraption and then grabbed the boat and went off for an hour while the others slept.
DSC01871.jpg

DSC01873.jpg

"Big Oak" just right of centre
DSC01876.jpg

DSC01877.jpg

We decided to go and gather some firewood from the forestry down the loch a few hundred yards.
Grooveski getting a boat load
DSC01878.jpg

DSC01879.jpg

Gailainne happy to be out
DSC01881.jpg

Stuart away for a bit of fishing
DSC01882.jpg

Some shots around camp
DSC01884.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

DSC01888.jpg

Gailainne gutting a mackie from yesterdays paddle in, very tasty it was too
DSC01886.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

Later in the afternoon the heavens opened and it didn't stop raining all night. We had a giggle trying to get the 'chute up before the storm, I think I won the prize for throwing the rock-on-a-rope over a branch contest :)
The camera went away for the rest of Saturday whilst we huddled round the fire, there was that much rain the inside of the 'chute walls were like rivers. It kept off 99% off the rain though and inside became a weird mix of wood smoke and fine mizzle. An early'ish night was had by all.

When I woke for the first time on Sunday, the rain was still battering my bivvie just inches above my face and the wind was still as strong. I lay there dozing for ten minutes or so and then had to get up for a morning constitutional.
After I got layered up I crawled under the sorry looking 'chute and made a quick brew with the kelly kettle, sorry if I woke you with my clanging Stu :)
Once warmed up I set about sorting the guy lines on the 'chute, dropping the sides down and generally getting it straight after the overnight storm.

Grooveski poked his head out of his bivvie at some point and just laughed at the chop on the water and disappeared back inside again. We didn't see him again for a couple of hours or so.

Dreich
DSC01889.jpg

and windy too
DSC01891.jpg

DSC01892.jpg

DSC01895.jpg

DSC01898.jpg

We had a few visitors on Sunday, mostly MOD Police checking us out but this was far more pleasing on the eye. Can't remember the name though, Stu/Josh remind me ??
DSC01897.jpg

As the day went on we were getting used to the idea that we might be stuck here on the point for an extra night, then around five o'clock it was like somebody flicked a switch and it all went calm again. So in no great hurry we got our stuff together and got ready for the crossing back to Loch Long.

'Chute looking a bit drier
DSC01899.jpg

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01900.jpg

DSC01909.jpg

Last edited:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Fantastic pictures there Shewie, I especially like the sunset. As said though, can't believe some people, what a stunning place!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Cracking pics Rich. Sorry to hear you're poorly. Get well soon. :)

Still can't get over the trashed camp myself either. After us working to tidy it up a little bit more each time we've been there to see it in a worse state than ever was demoralising.
Kinda wish we hadn't cleaned up the bottle tree yon time. A bunch of plastic bottles hanging off the branches may not be the prettiest thing to leave behind but if they'd still been hanging there the smegheads might not have decided to set it up again with glass bottles this time.
What chance do you stand? :rolleyes:

Still had a lovely weekend. Nice one guys.

LLONG_JULY_01.jpg

LLONG_JULY_02.jpg

LLONG_JULY_03.jpg

LLONG_JULY_04.jpg

LLONG_JULY_05.jpg

LLONG_JULY_06.jpg

LLONG_JULY_07.jpg

:)
Josh

Last edited:

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Great pics of a brilliant weekend guys, hope you feel better soon Rich. here's a pics few of mine ....

The put-in
P1010575.jpg

Paddling to the camp with a spot of fishing along the way
P1010582.jpg

Wee stop for a leg stretch
P1010589.jpg

P1010619.jpg

Still a grand looking old lady
P1010634.jpg

P1010599.jpg

P1010607.jpg

A wee visitor we saw a few times
seal1.jpg

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
This may be a stupid question, but, where do you keep your cars on these trips?

It varies.
Most of the time you put in at villages. Sometimes there'll be waterfront parking with water users in mind. Sometimes you pull up, offload everything as close to the water as you can then go dump the car somewhere and walk back to the water.
Pubs and hotels are often friendly to the idea of you dumping a couple of cars for the weekend, especialy if it's off-season and the carparks will be lying empty anyway.

Loch Long is one of the better ones. There's a big carpark that's been used by canoeists and divers for years and the military police are back and forth day and night.

Gailainne

Life Member
Really enjoyable weekend, more than a little annoyed with whoever trashed the cove across from the depot, but the Loch Goil site more than made up for it.

To be truthful I far prefer the weather to be wild than not, it really does, (at least for me) make you feel alive, so the weekend was perfect, most of the time I sat watching the sea doing its thing with a big smile on my face.

Another crap video I'm afraid, gimme a few years :eek:
[video=youtube;WPjU9X7EVX0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPjU9X7EVX0[/video]

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll show you a crap vid .....

[video=youtube;Dvel8iPiQgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvel8iPiQgs[/video]

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I agree, I love the rainy days just as much as the sun drenched ones. To have both is perfect. The sound of those waves would have had me asleep in nano-seconds.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Looks like a great trip, I was riding back from the outer hebrides on friday and it was pretty rough.... mind you should have seen the weather on Harris!
Must get the canoe out D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE