A feelgood woodwork thread

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Recently there have been complaints about the quality of some of the work that has been posted on here. Specifically , that it was all far too good, and made normal bushcrafters feel thoroughly inadequate and inept.

Therefore, in an effort to redress the balance and make people feel good (and give the skilled woodworkers a laugh) I present the fruits of this afternoon's labours:

8751104210_3060ee0770_b.jpg

Yes, it really is that bad. I had half a round lying about, which had been hacked at with an axe in a futile attempt to split it, and which then split in a particularly skewed way after being hit with a bigger axe. I found a old pole lying in a hedgerow last night when I was walking the dog, so I cut it up to make some legs. I then hacked at the half-round with an axe, adze, froe, blunt drawknife, mora woodcarving knife, and mora spoonknife. I didn't so much finish it as abandon any hope of ever getting it level.

8751094976_48c046a9fb_b.jpg

I decided against a sanded finish :rolleyes:

8751094246_44214e2d50_b.jpg

After hunting around for a glamorous and beautiful model to enhance my artistic creation, I gave up, and my wife volunteered instead.

8751094844_30b32be9f0_b.jpg

I hope everyone feels better now. Stop laughing Kepis!

:D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Your misses will chop bits off of you for that caption.

I know yours has four legs, but why do milking stools traditionally have three legs.................................

Because the cow has the udder.*

*I know so it would be stable on cobbles is the real answer.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Recently there have been complaints about the quality of some of the work that has been posted on here. Specifically , that it was all far too good, and made normal bushcrafters feel thoroughly inadequate and inept.

Can't say that I'd noticed that myself but then I don't read as many of the posts as I used to.

Not sure if I am in the same category as the OP - but I am not very skilled at most things practical. But I just take the simple line that if it works then any artistic merit is a bonus.

As regards the actual seat made - looks fine to me and is no worse - and could well be better - than those made at a Paul Kirtley weekend:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98144

posts 6 and 17

And all of them are infinitely better than those 'made' by people who have never had a go (if that makes sense - there is a good saying/quote about people trying and at least having a go and not getting a perfect result being 'better' than those who never even try but I can't remember where I saw it on the forum)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The whole thread is sort of an in-joke, after the playful suggestion was made that Kepis should be kicked off the forum due to the quality of his spoons, which surpasses those of most ordinary mortals.

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nice one Mike!

And as Goatboy said: your Missus will chop bit off you when she reads that caption. Who needs a glamorous model? She's lovely! The unsanded finish comment made me laugh out loud too.

Milking stools have three legs so that they are self leveling on flat or uneven ground. Worth remembering that little factoid. :22:

Biker

Incidentally if this thread is supposed to make the amateur woodworkers feel good about their modest efforts, then I'll be showing some leather work I'm currently ruining in a few days time.
Given up for tonight in frustration again.

Lee, Dreadhead, Angst and the like make it look effortless... :notworthy until you have a go yourself and then you realise they're probably in league with Lucifer! :aargh4:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire

And all of them are infinitely better than those 'made' by people who have never had a go (if that makes sense - there is a good saying/quote about people trying and at least having a go and not getting a perfect result being 'better' than those who never even try but I can't remember where I saw it on the forum)

Found it:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

This was Ross Bowyer quoting Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited:

Biker

That's a good quote Elines, thanks. I'll keep at this leather working lark until I fall into the dust.

I wonder why it's always old statesmen and politicians who spoke such words of wisdom and therefore often get quoted, yet no recent politicians or statesmen seem to be? Maybe they lack that genuine integrity to sound as though they actually believe their own words? :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE