A disgusting but necessary job for a delicious outcome!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've had three rabbits in the freezer for some time and they were taking up space so yesterday, along with some belly pork, I roasted them in the oven for two hours on a fairly low heat.

I then put them in the pressure cooker, as well as garlic, wine, beer, pepper and rosemary. This was then kept up to temperature for another couple of hours.

This morning, I had the unpleasant job of separating all the meat from the bones - it was cold & greasy but ended up with a big bowl of meat and pork fat. This was returned to the stock and is now back in the pressure cooker where I'll let it boil for a bit longer to make everything even softer.

Once that's cooled down, I'll mash it all up, strain most of the liquid off (keeping it for stock) and pack into jars to make rillettes. Can't wait!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Two hours in a pressure cooker is a heck of a time if you are actually pressure cooking rather than using it as a pan? Still, the stock should be incredible!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've had three rabbits in the freezer for some time and they were taking up space so yesterday, along with some belly pork, I roasted them in the oven for two hours on a fairly low heat.

I then put them in the pressure cooker, as well as garlic, wine, beer, pepper and rosemary. This was then kept up to temperature for another couple of hours.

This morning, I had the unpleasant job of separating all the meat from the bones - it was cold & greasy but ended up with a big bowl of meat and pork fat. This was returned to the stock and is now back in the pressure cooker where I'll let it boil for a bit longer to make everything even softer.

Once that's cooled down, I'll mash it all up, strain most of the liquid off (keeping it for stock) and pack into jars to make rillettes. Can't wait!

That all sounds quite tasty. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have you ever thought of getting a slow cooker/crockpot? More energy efficient and makes the meat meltingly soft. Also saves you time as once it's in there you don't have to keep an eye on it. Why I loved it when working. Just load it and come home at night to great smells and a cooked meal. Seamingly a lot.of the vitamins and goodness aren't lost due to lower temperatures.
The meat you already have could be made into a lovely cold game pie, or if its a bit greasy make it into a type of cottage pie. The tatties will soak up the fat, in fact if you layer on sliced par boiled tatties on top, it'll soak up the fat and bake off like a gratain. :p yum.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, it's all potted up now and the carcasses are back in to make stock. Hope it's nice, some of the meat was still a bit stringy - think I must have dried it out a bit when I first roasted it...

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
spandit: necessary evil for the result. Thank you for both process and seasonings.
Just for fun, be given the task to pull all the pork from an entire BBQ hind quarter. Left to go cold.

Rabbits, like almost all wild game, buffalo/bison included, have very little fat in the meat.
I suggest that for the first cook, you should wrap the wild meats in foil to hold moisture and garnish each piece with a slice of pork belly.
Of course, you won't get the Maillard reactions that we associate with "meaty" taste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE