A day tracking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
C Claycombe spent the last week down my house and in between making my first knife and longbows we got a chance to do some tracking

Chris following rabbits and foxes across the dunes
tracking2.jpg

we tracked some mice! and could see not only their tracks but also where they had eaten the grass seed
tracking1.jpg

We even tracked insects!!! though i must point out that these tracks were not from the catapillers as we first thought!! we later found the culprit....... a small slug :shock:
tracking3.jpg

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Bug tracking! Reminds me of those very dunes on the mods course. I was helping Jed with some tracks and said to him "ooh a spider" at which point he looked at me astounded and said "wow you are good" just before realising that I was pointing out an actual spider next to his foot!! :rolmao:

Seriously though its amazing how much sign insects leave behind, am I the only person to have seen a snail scat? :wink:

Ginger

Apr 8, 2004
Great pix Stuart,

Maybe you could use pix like this to teach us tracking snippets.

Eg, How did you know the mouse was eating grass seed? From the tracks being near grass or other evidence?

Thanks!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There were piles of empty grass seed husks in piles surrounded by mouse prints.

The dues are covered with snails and snail trails in the sand. There were also a lot of millipedes, but I think they didn't leave much in the way of tracks :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE