A day out with the family in my bushy playground (pic heavy)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
This morning we decided to go for a stroll, as a family. Options were Hardcastle Crags or my bushy playground.

As we have only been to the woods, as a family once in the past, the bushy playground won! Each of the kids carried a daysac, sharing the load of water, food and a stove each.

Half way up the hill...just entering the wood
DSCN2675.jpg

The view from the top...
DSCN2678.jpg

Mini-me looking for deer with his new binos (christmas pressie)...
DSCN2680.jpg

We decided to cook lunch in the woods, and this was the kitchen....
DSCN2746.jpg

Whilst lunch was cooking, well waiting for the water to boil at least, SWMBO challenged me to light a fire. Out came my new tinder pouch (thanks for the group buy Shewie!) loaded with with dry hay and maya stick shavings and the ferro rod...
DSCN2731.jpg

Success :D ...
DSCN2732.jpg

A little encouragement for the flames...
DSCN2750.jpg

Then we ate lunch...
DSCN2776.jpg

Waste not, want not...
DSCN2791.jpg

After a few hours exploring and deer spotting we returned to the car, and finally home to get warm.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like a fun time with the family Simon and it certainly beats my morning in the office.

Good to see the tinder pouch make an appearance :)

Great pictures of the day out and of the family. Beautiful countryside! I need to get my brood out together again...., though I don't know how much I could get Alayna to pack along for us...lol, being only 3 I don't think she can carry much just yet but I want to get her started with a pack early. I started Sarah off at four or five, lol, she would carry some of the food and I would cary the water and gear. You have to love those challenges, good for the spirits.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Beautiful countryside!

Sadly, it looks like someone else has been using (abusing?) it.

The area around the fire circle was full of empty beer cans, disposable BBQ grills and a 5L petrol can!

I am up there again next weekend, so will take a few rubble sacks up and have a clean up, again!

Simon

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

The area around the fire circle was full of empty beer cans, disposable BBQ grills and a 5L petrol can!

I am up there again next weekend, so will take a few rubble sacks up and have a clean up, again!

Simon

Always rely on someone to spoil an area, nice to see you take pride in the area for everyone elses enjoyment

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Always rely on someone to spoil an area, nice to see you take pride in the area for everyone elses enjoyment

It's part of the "price" I pay for using the area. I am on the books as "Volunteer Ranger" with the council and do small tasks most times I go up there.

I suppose I am quite lucky as the woods is well off the beaten track, so mainly folk only go there if they appreciate natures beauty. No car parks and a 20 minute walk up hill tends to put off the local kids!

Simon

Simon

I know this feeling, every time I go on a hike I always return with more of other peoples garbage than my own in my pack...., I have learned to take a few small plastic bags with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE