A day out practicing winterskills....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi there Ron, great post and lovely pictures. Can you tell me what the mess tins are on the 16th picture the oval shaped one. Looks just like the thing I'm after, cheers and keep up the good work on your Blog.:beerchug:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
i have yet to find a pair of military boots that wernt slippy in ice or compact snow.

our 80s DMS boots where leathal especialy when rock climbing.

And when on RoP's and doing KP duty as a punishment.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'm happy to share my experiences with you!

@ Miyagi; I actually did follow judo and other martial arts decades ago, but with a backpack on there's not much you can do, I'm afraid

That's true...

Liam

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
@ backtimberwolf; no, there the predecessors of the ones you showed. These were used in the '90's and had a groove in the heel.
@ Sam; too bad you can't go out yourself. Maybe my pics give you something to daydream about while sitting around at the office.
@ Geordienemisis; the tins are Markill Patent and are stackable, as said. There's a clamp/spring holding them both together. They're quite old I guess. Bought them in a thriftshop once for €1... I'm working on the blog, posting the old stuff first in order to keep it in the proper timeline.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Fabulous, thanks for sharing, love the shots of the sun shining through the lower boughs of the trees :)

Rich

Ron
Yup plenty to day dream about looking through your posts, like your blog by the way
very envious of your tinderbox find its a really beautiful example
so the pack is OK now you have given it a second try? i had one but traded it which i am now questioning (i have got a Norwegian one a little bigger capacity so can't justify replacing the one i traded)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
-21C!! - and I thought my weekend out was cold. I too wore Swedish Army jacket and trousers and they were so warm - too warm much of the time.

Great account and pics Ron, thanks for giving us a glimpse of your winter.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Great thread dude, enjoyed your story and pics.

I'm jealous of all that snow, I love cold snowy adventures.

R3XXY

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Great thread once again, I look forward to your posts as there is always a lot of information in them.

One thing I am interested in as it is something that I'm looking into at the moment is the battery life on your camera as you are obviously getting good results.

Your Sony DSC-S950 is a fairly small camera so are you keeping it between your clothing layers when not in use? Do you carry spare batteries? How do you deal with condensation issues if it is under your clothing?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
@ Sam; as I said, it takes some getting used to. After the first trip I have carried it several times on small walks without much load. This time I loaded it up completely again and it didn't bother me as it did the first time.
I haven't seen a Norwegian one "live" so far, so can't comment on those.... although the canvas/leather ones are very appealing...:rolleyes:
@ Wayland; How do you know what camera I have???
But yes, I keep it tucked away in the chest pocket of my jacket. I do not carry spare batteries, just the one in the camera that the easily lasts me through the day. I keep condensation or cooling down of the camera to a minimun by first looking at the subject I want to shoot, visualising the image in my head. Than I take out the camera, make the shot, check if it did work out and tuck away the camera again. This way it is only ecposed to the cold for seconds.
I have to admit this camera is a compromise. Great for taking snapshots, not so good in real photography..

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is interesting to see that you find the M43 cap a bit thin ... perhaps ours are of different makes but mine is pretty well wind proof (70% wool 30 % viscose).
If I wore it with another layer under it I think my head would cook :)
So far it has prooved warm, wind resistant did not let rain through (steady drizzle) but slow to dry.
I have been out wearing it in temps from plus 2 to minus 5 degrees in drizzle and in snow/sleet and in light snow.
In dry conditions with snow and ice on the ground it proved warm even when there was a stiff breeze blowing ... I only had to drop the ear flaps for a short while to keep my ears warm :)
DuluthWandererinsnow.jpg

StormyKromerBunkhousetrousersinthesnow.jpg

I only took the Ventile outerlayer off to show what I was wearing under it ( lightweight Woolpower thermal top, Wool shirt, home made wool lined polycotton jerkin, Stormy Kromer Bunkhouse trousers, Magnum boots, Wool Buff held in reserve, wool blanket made top in the pack)) and had to dress quickly after the photo session!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi John,
I guess I wasn't clear in writing down what I meant.
My head was never cold, just the lower parts of the ears and the exposed area around neck and cheaks. That's why I put the scarf up and secured it that way with the cap. This way there were no gaps left, where the wind could get in.
One "problem" I had with the cap was that when I lowered the sides they kept riding up a little, exposing the lower part of the ears. I never folded it down completely, though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE