A day of flint knapping with John Lord

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For a while, I have had a desire to learn to flint knap (given I live in a cottage made of the stuff and you can’t walk 10’ round here without falling over it, it seemed an interesting thing to learn).

So, having looked carefully around, it appeared that the consensus was the “master of the art” was John Lord. I found his website and contacted John. He offered me a variety of dates and we arranged to meet today. He was happy to spend a day just teaching me. I explained that I’d like to bring Bushbaby and he was happy to teach us both (for the same price) but that he liked to keep the numbers small for his “tuition days” to ensure he really devoted time to each student.

We pitched up at John’s lovely cottage about 9:30 and were warmly greeted by Val (John’s wife) who had the kettle on. Inside 5 minutes we were chattering away like old friends, drinking coffee and looking at some of the magnificent pieces of art and flint in Johns home.

After we had got to know one another, John led us out to his garden (knapping is best done outside to avoid the risk of silicosis). The weather was threatening rain but we sat outside John’s poly tunnel knowing we could dart inside if the thunderstorm broke (it did just before lunch and we moved inside the poly tunnel where John’s fantastic ox hide coracle hung).

John took some time to understand what we wanted to achieve. We described out local flint nodules and John found a piece just like our local Hampshire stuff. He asked what we wanted to achieve (well duh – axes of course :D). Our initial demonstration was then John turning a large nodule into a beautiful flaked axe head

Large nodule
840481185_3187ff7701.jpg

Axe Head
840481149_b67108bf2a.jpg

Then it was hands on for us. We have never had a more attentive tutor. Initially John developed a “core” for us from which we struck a variety of blades. John stayed with us – often almost nose to nose, every step of the way. He explained not only the techniques, but what each blade type was used for. He worked through the use of hard hammers (quartzite stones) and soft hammers (antler). We then learned about pressure flaking the blades to develop them with antler and copper tipped antler

Pressure flaking

840481091_043aefd7e4.jpg

Abrading a piece of flint to develop a platform

840481039_fbf08e3b39.jpg

BB getting tuition

841485326_d79bc1035a.jpg

At lunch we went to the local pub (which John insisted was his treat – we wrangled about that) and had a great meal – then back for more knapping

John moved on to showing us how to divide the largest of nodules

840119449_5aaca4efd8.jpg

We both took some time to develop hand axes from a large piece of flint

If a ham fisted guy like me can go from this

841485364_7940d889e9.jpg

To this (my “hand axe” in progress) in just a few minutes, then I think the quality of teaching speaks for itself

841485346_fb813108d5.jpg

We finished the day, taking our pieces with us along with the magnificent axe head John made.

All in all, a fabulous day – informative, entertaining and the time just flew by.

The most amazing thing was the price – John charged us just £100 for the whole day for both of us with lunch thrown in. I can hardly imagine many leading authorities on a subject will give 8 hours private tuition to two people for such a sum.

If flint knapping interests you, I heartily recommend a day with John and Val – have a look at their website – you won’t regret it!

http://www.flintknapping.co.uk/

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Tremendous stuff Red,
I spent a day with John & Val at last summers Bushmoot and you're right, their quality and approach to the art is beyond question. I, however, just could not grasp the finer points of some of the techniques and spent the day producing sharp rubble! At that sort of price though, a bit of one-to-one would go a long way to recovering my knapping esteem.

Thanks for showing.

ATB

Ogri the trog

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Glad you had a geat day did you make any arrow heads ? and show us some pictures of your efforts.

John and Val are amazing people I've had the pleasure of their teachings on several occasions but only one one to one at their home it is an amazing day out and well worth the small amount this world authority charges for his time.

when are you planning your next trip? did you go to the quarry where he found his mammoth?

J*

P

Pippin

I've often thought that people like John Lord are Living National Treasures and should be supported to pursue their art or craft and given all the help they need to pass on their skills

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I too have spent a day with Jon & Val at their cottage. What a great time and incredibly useful - he is so patient and understanding you simply can't go wrong.
I would thoroughly reccommend anybody to do that day with him - even if you have never smashed a rock in your life - its £100 so very well spent and I gurantee you will come away with articles you'll always be proud of, and a mass of knowledge to boot.
The smell of that coracle in the poly tunnel is something else though isnt it?

Cheers

Nick

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Nick - I suspect it must have "cured" - theres no smell now (although we had both doors open due th the thundery heat)!

BB made some arrow heads J - I concentrated on hand axes which fascinated me and some blade flakes etc. I'll take some photos and put them up so you can contrats with Johns :eek:

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE