A day at Castell Henllys

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just got home after a day demonstrating Iron Age- ish Bushcraft at a Prehistoric Extravaganza at Castell Henlys in Pembrokeshire.
It was a beautiful day (I now have a sunburned pate and neck) and I was so busy I did not have time to eat or drink much at all.
I demoed Bowdrill, Flint and Steel and Ferro Rod firelighting and folk had the chance to try all of these (ferro rod mainly for kids who could not get F&S working) and I had several kids manage F&S inc some 7 year olds!
I must have done 6 or 7 Bow drill fires, uncounted F&S and ferro rod demos and feel like I have been beaten up by a gang of Iron Age warriors!
Others there were Carl Lee doing flint knapping, Pole lathe turners, green woodworkers, story tellers and a Professional Celtic Warrior and there were games for the kids and several craft stalls.
A great day - but I was too busy to take photos!
Now for some Tanglefoot and relax!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Sounds terrific, yes, a day showing aspects of living history can be tiring but it is rewarding. Do you know a friend of mine, Brochfael who has also been a number of times at Castell Henlys? Or Will Llawerch who writes books such as the Little Book of Iron Age Living and filmed a video of him employing some skills there as well?
[h=1][/h]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sounds terrific, yes, a day showing aspects of living history can be tiring but it is rewarding. Do you know a friend of mine, Brochfael who has also been a number of times at Castell Henlys? Or Will Llawerch who writes books such as the Little Book of Iron Age Living and filmed a video of him employing some skills there as well?
[h=1][/h]

Will was there alright!
Came all the way from Rye where he is filming :)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
We went to Castell Henlys last week while on holiday near there, what a fantastic place, even the dog loved it well, he went to sleep by the fire anyway!
There was some nice cramp balls on a stump by the lathe that I had my eye on too!
Would have been even better if Mr Fenna was doing demos :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE