A damp morning at Hardcastle Crags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I had a bit of spare time this morning before work so I took a chance on getting a few Autumnal shots before the weather strips all the leaves.

Hope you enjoy them.

Hardcastle-Tributary.jpg

Hardcastle-Path.jpg

Hardcastle-Building.jpg

Hardcastle-Steps.jpg

Hardcastle-Stream.jpg

Hardcastle-Flow.jpg

The-Elder.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice. Brings back some memories. We used to take the dog for walks there.
Did you see the northern hairy wood ants nests?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
lovely landscapes and subjects.

I know the square root of Zero about photography and special effects but i have to say that the special effect that you use for the water detracts from the "reality" of the photo ( IMHANO ), i've never seen water that looks like that.

Still, as i say, i know nothing about special effects and it may well be concidered arty or something, i dunno.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Stunning pictures as always Gary, but that landscape one of the two rocks in the stream is just wonderful.

I haven't mastered getting the blurred water effect at all yet.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i just think that this looks more "real"

Waterfall.jpg

than this

Rainforest-Autumn15.jpg

it's just my opinion mate, it doesn't detract from your photographic skill in any way.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Robbi, opinions vary amongst photographers as well but the truth of the matter is that Video is the only real way to "accurately" render water.

Still images all fall into a spectrum between frozen at one extreme and blurred at the other. Your example above looks like about a quarter second or so, which blurs a bit and freezes a bit depending on the speed of the water.

I use lots of different styles and settings in my pictures but I tend to prefer the blurred end.

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I keep trying to double tap the photos to "like" them!

I like the blurry water effect (not least because it is something I have been unable to do! ) But I wouldn't want all photos of water to be like that. I am also fascinated by shots which freeze every droplet, but again I wouldn't want every waterfall to look like a sculpture made of glass. I guess it shows how much a photo is an artistic creation; crafted by the photographer, rather than just a facsimile of what our eyes can take in.

Out of interest, does this indicate that our retinas have a 'refresh rate' of about a quarter of a second?

Z

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing! My favourite is the last one, I love the colours and the composition with the tree and the rocks in the water!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE