OK well said, I'll give it a think over and come up with a Prize :D
are the rules sorted yet ?

* They should be made from a single piece of wood
* They should never ever be spared!
* They should have recognisable facial features

* a folding saw, an axe and your usual knife

* Crowns allowed

cheers all Danny

I would say any head ornament is allowed, be it egyptian hedjet, papal mitre or a salakot.

Last edited:

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Acceptable entry?

0000047.jpg

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
odd question but can these wild fire idols be made at home? i am not going anywhere for a few months but i have some wood available at home.
big_swede, please dont say they are your entries or i give up already.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
The only facial feature I can find is the cake hole. If you remove the brass and turn it 90 degrees CCW you'll get a nice fish. Shark head maybe.
----------------------------------------------
Easter is coming up, might have to try to make a wooden JC.
You Pagan you :lmao::D

The Fire festival of Beltane is coming up night of 30th April (friday) which gives some time for practice I'll get the prize I've thought of together in the next couple of days and post a photo. Remembering it's all in fun ! :)
cheers all Danny

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
odd question but can these wild fire idols be made at home? i am not going anywhere for a few months but i have some wood available at home.
big_swede, please dont say they are your entries or i give up already.

No Mr scorpio, they were only included as inspiration. I wish I had the skill and time required to make and burn totempoles. One day maybe! :D

I instinctly feel they should be made in the wild, but we could have the domesticated idols as a separate category.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
just found a free Beltane festival, not my bag but some might be interested
http://www.sacredbrigantia.com/index.php
cheers all Danny

I have to say, I had no idea what beltane was, but after a quick wikicheck I realised that we also have a fire burning festival at the end of april. Pagans as we are.

But the people on the site seems to be more hippies than pagans. Didgeridoos? Come on ***! Everybody knows that the only thing you need for a fire festival is a huge phallic fire idol. With a crown. Or a papal mitre.

They could host an IFIBA* sanctioned event at the wilderness gathering.

* International Fire Idol Burning Association

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
sounds good :D
i will make the idol in the garden lol! of course i could do it over easter when i am going up to wales...
could the closing date of the comp be the last day of april and then we all burn them on that day?
i love this idea, its an excuse for my poor carving skills to be put to use :D

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
No Mr scorpio, they were only included as inspiration.

Well that's a relief. If I could carve anything close to that I'd have a hard time lighting it up.

There's a local guy here that get's burned every year in the fall. Zozobra, old man gloom. Forty thousand people screaming, BURN HIM!!! It's just a little pagan and also ironic as it kicks off a local religious festival, the religion being Catholicism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zozobra

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I'm at 99% of my 10 gig a month Photobucket allowance so this photo, and the rest in my posts might not show but it resets tomorrow,(Thursday)
Remembering this is only for fun how about having April as Fire Idol month then post photos of them on here by Monday 3rd May and if you see one that you think is the best :- carving ? setting ? flames ? then get that persons address by p.m. and send them a prize.Then everyone gets to judge and there will be more than just one prize. I'll send the Idol maker I like best :-
a box of mixed fire lighting bits

pine spills,piece of pine,pine fat wood,steel wool,birch bark,char cloth,sizal rope,dried birch polypore,fir cones,film tub of sterno gell,
hemp string,sizal string,cotton wick,plumbers hemp,fuel tabs in foil,
dried king alfreds cakes,rush lights,wax tapers,candle,rubber bands (burn well),
bailer band,raffia,crackle fire lighter,dried reed mace,night light,piece flint,
sulphur matches,and a quicklight firelighter (use small pieces)
A video of Forty thousand people screaming, BURN HIM!!!(thanks Bravo4) might go down well.
big_swede's huge phallic fire idol with a papal mitre :eek: should be worth a look---I can't wait
cheers all Danny

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
hmmm... would it not be better to send any prizes to the person who is organising the comp (big swede or QdanT) and also send them any competition entries. they can then post them all on a separate thread and they can be anonymous. and everyone who enters the comp has to provide a prize before their entry is submitted??
i dunno what i could provide as a prize... maybe a ferro rod or just some money over paypal...

i have decided that rather than carving something that is trying to look really good and then feel bad about burning it, i will carve something designed to be burned.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
We should maybe have some criteria? What is a good fire idol? For me it's all about size and shape. In that order. Something should be put next to the idol for reference, such as a match box or a station wagon depending on the size of the idol.

The bigger the better. Facial expressions should also be rewarded (I would indeed be grumpy if someone threw me on the fire).

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
bigger would be a problem in the wild because it would mean felling a tree if none were already down and not rotten. then it would also be green and wouldn't burn...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE