a cautionary tail!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
there are some wierd people out there!
(for the record, i am a bushcrafter, and have long since cast aside survivalism!)

12 years ago i used to work with a guy called Dave.S (a quiet, seemingly normal bloke), we worked together as a voluntary basis for the local Norwich YMCA i didn't know him and due to the fact he had a slight interest in "survival" i befriended him.

in my infancy as a "survivalist" he introduced me to a different more paranoid view on "survival".

each walk the conversation would wander from normal chat which he would always highjack and talk about bombs and explosive!
he also had a fascination in horror make up and often talked of dressing up as a monster to scare people, and or faking serious wounds.

ok, Dave. S was and still is(to my knowledge) a compulsive lier
some of which consisted of:

being a mountain rescuer(he's scared of heights)
being a security guard (he's far too slightly built)
being a Ninja (yeah i know)
being in the army(again too small, with limited knowledge)
being married(he backed this up with a photo, which he later confessed as untrue)
often faked illness to get out of explaning being late, including epilepsy(which i never saw, and know of real sufferers).

and more worryingly, talked of planting bombs near an army base!

and a reliable friend told me he was seen running from his house with a starter pistol saying "I'm going to do it!" which he handed over to the local police the same day!? :shock: :-?

knowing his facination of things that go bang, (some of which he showed me)and all the lies, i decided that the relationship was not safe/healthy, and i slowly moved away!

the very last trip i did with him was a nightmare about 10 years ago:
i was friends with a local farmer and was given use of his 7 acre woods.
present was me, my friend johnny, and Dave.s
I'd always felt Dave copied me, which he did, he basically had all the same gear as me just very cheap "Taiwan" versions of each item!
on this occasion it was raining all day,
we were building a huge lean-to shelter, and the insulation had got so heavy with water that the freashly cut beams(arm width) had cracked and were collapsing, no one was in danger we were still building it, anyway, at this point it was getting dark we were wet , it was still raining we had 3 options:

stay and repair the shelter?
(not really an option, in the dark and wet)

sleep in the farmers barn?
(all our gear was wet, and we would not have got warm, no fire)

walk 10k back home?
though a long walk, we would keep warm by our movement, and be in our own houses in a few hours.

we had a group discussion and decided apon the walk home, at which point dave started throwing all his gear in the fire :shock: ????

after telling him to grow up (he was25)and calm down we walked home.

the fact he flipped out isn't so worrying everyone is allowed to get cross, it's the fact that it was a potentially dangerous situation, the shelter could have hurt someone, it was cold and wet!

so put this situation in a different scenario say setting up camp in the lake district in bad weather? when you are tired?

need i say more?

check your group members out! do small hikes before expeditions to find out stuff like this!

i still bump into this guy, recently he kept giving me little gifts :shock: , untill i completely blanked him.
told me how he went with a friend and shot rabbits with a crossbow on public land with footpaths in broad daylight on a weekend! and didn't see a problem with it, which disturbed me alot!

i haven't spoken to him since, this guy is still around.

as i say, check your group members, don't be paranoid but be carefull!
99% of the poulation is fine (including bushcrafters :wink: ) but that 1% can be dodgy!

chears Rapp

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Strewth mate, that's pretty scary stuff. I would have made some excuses to lose this guy a lot sooner than you did. Well done to you though for giving him a fair hearing :shock:

Many, Many congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Get her bow drilling by 6 months ?!! :-D

jakunen

Native
I know us ex-service guys can be a bit 'bang happy', (yes, we're kids who haven't really grown out of liking BIG 'fireworks' :wink: ), but most of us, are I hope, balanced enough to be, as Wimbledon Police lablelled me 'mostly harmless' ( :***: cheek!).
Unfortunately you do some Munchausen syndrome-like people who do fantasize to dangerous extents, generally more dangerous for others than themselves.
Sounds like you did right to disassociate yourself from him. Especially his views on 'public' hunting with a x-bow (being a x-bow hunter myself people liek him... :***: :soapbox: ).
Like Falling Rain said, I've have dumped him LONG ago! Whilst advising him to seek help...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i can agree with you there, i was in the TA for a while years ago,
(wasn't really me :wink: )
and yes firing a weapon is cool, and playing war games is actually quite fun(and serious).
but....you have to draw a line,
any soldier you speak to will tell you about how you don't play with guns, or other fire arms especially where passers-by could be hurt.
also alot of the training as based on self control so you don't play!

there is an art to using a weapon (though it's not my thing), and there are some fantastic sportsmen and women.

Dave.S always played, made bombs with fertiliser(IRA style), smoke bombs and alarm mines from shotgun cartrages.

very unpredictable!

if you meet anyone like this
stay away not only does it give the rest of us a bad name but they are not to be trusted!

:shock:

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Regrettably we have an interest that draws the wrong people like flies to...

Think about it, we use cool and interesting gear including knives, we camp out and learn skills most often seen on TV by these SAS type shows that glamorise such things...

Is it any wonder the loony tune element is jumping up and down with excitement? Heck they are probably chuffed someone is paying them even passing attention.

Ask yourself this question, would you take a young child on an outdoor trip with the person that worries you? If the answer is no, then that person is a problem... I know a lot of people with very objectionable points of view and down right daft behaviour at times. However I trust these people to behave when it matters and would feel quite safe letting them look after a loved one. I might dislike their politics, but I trust the person.

Take care

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
yep i totally agree with you there, I've met people that bore me to tears but woulden't hurt a fly! :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE