A Blustery January Overnighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Last Saturday myself, Pete (I camp @butlins) and Steve (mesquite) had an over nighter at my permission
Pete and I walked from my house

It was a good walk taking us around an hour in some very pleasant sunshine but not too warm
As soon as we arrived Pete fired up the tranigia for a brew

And Steve arrived slightly after

For those that remember me mentioning an Ash tree that had split her e is a pic of the split

And a view up to where it is snarled up in other trees, still undecided as to what to do with this I confess (there is definitely a few projects available in this tree I have a few plans for it as and when I finally deal with it)

The initial set up

Shortly after this the wind picked up and it was agreed that pete would benefit from moving his tarp to a slightly different spot so his tarp stopped impersonating a sail
Meanwhile me and steve processed some wood and tried out the upside down fire lay

Works quite well as it goes and it’s another fire lay to add to my options
A late lunch of mug shot was devoured

The upside down fire lay later on

It then decided to positively precipitate it down, apologies for the pics in advance

It absolutely leathered it down for around an hour, rain thunder lightening directly overhead and hail added to the fun. Luckily we were tucked away beneath the communal tarp and Pete’s relocated tarp acted as a shield against the horizontal rain
A while discussing Pete and My sister’s upcoming wedding and also my stag do and also mine and lisa’s wedding (pete and soph are this year me n lisa next) lead us onto dinner time
So a wee rearrange of the fire was in order

I have recently stashed this grill in my woods and this was its first proper testing, worked well 
Marinated jerk chicken thighs cooking and a brew on (of course)

End result- jerk chicken thighs and drum sticks with chorizo rice and a jerk sauce. Its not the most appetising of pics buts I assure you it really hit the spot on a cold winters evening in the woods

Steve had decided to knock up some charcloth whilst he was there you should be able to make out the tin in the embers of the fire behind Pete’s washing up

After an evening relaxing and conversing around the fire with a few snifters of purely medicinal chilli Sambuca/stags breath/ braduar it was time to turn in and pete produced his secret weapon to keep cosy------- a wee small hot water bottle apparently he pinched it off my sister but removed the fluffy pink cover so Steve and I wouldn’t mock him( as if we would…….oh wait)

And we turned in.
I slept like a log, apparently I snored but I have no recollection of that and I reckon they’re just making it up.
Waking around six am for a pee the fire had burnt down significantly so a comfort stop and back into my bag until around 8 am
We got the fire going again and after a brew cooked up some rather tasty Haggis Sausages

I broke my set up down and packed it away before being collected by my mum so I could see the women folk at home before they went to out,
Pete walked back to my parents getting only slightly mislaid en route and steve broke camp and headed home.

It was a cracking night out and I hope you enjoyed the write up and pics

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Ah, i know that storm you speak of.
As we too (me and Jonbodthethird) also tried to go out that day.
But due to me having to move my setup it came upon us before we had completed and we got a little wet.
Nearly blew Jons tarp away and soaked his hammock and us while running around trying to save kit from the wind.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one Sam , always great to get out even when the weather is a bit blustery and wet , tahnks for sharing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE