A Blackbird mutation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Now and again i come across birds with strange mutations in their plumage. Spotted this whiteheaded blackbird today. Sorry about picture quality.

70724635e61e4ec3e803cc8433f9f346.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Its a genetic issue known as leucistic its fairly common in crow species. I have a carrion crow that visits the field behind my home where it has it on its wings

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
When I was a kid we had an albino blackbird that visited the back garden regularly for a while, and a one legged un for a time too.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Under average circumstances, what should that blackbird's head color be?
More common in our mid-west, we have a yellow-headed blackbird.

There is a genetic lineage of white ravens on the islands of Haida Gwaii, just off our west coast.
Several very dramatic new pictures in the last month or so.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
when my children were little, we had a resident black bird with a white spot at side of its head and my eldest who was 3 at the time, couldn't say "sp", it was "f" so was known as "fot" and every since all black birds in our home are know as "Fot's"!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks for the picture Robbi. Appreciate seeing wildlife in other countries.
They aren't an exciting-looking bird but have a wide variety of songs and can imitate most other birds. If one is singing on a summer's day and you whistle a tune at it, quite often it will sing back the same tune.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not to worry. I always enjoy seeing what sorts of wildlife inhabit different areas.
Got a lead to a local photographer in NYorks while I was there.
Bought a color canvas print of a Red Grouse in the heather to hang on my wall here.

I think you all would enjoy watching the male Rufous humming birds fight and scream at eachother.
Mostly display but I have actually seen them hit eachother on a few occassions.
Then we will go game-spotting for all the 4-legged things, the cats and bigger.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I saw this one in the garden a few years ago. Typically I had the wrong lens on the camera so only got a quick distant pic. Made me wonder if the white makes them more of a target for predators or if they get treated like magpies.

030113cropped_zpscd7389be.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll guess that among tree branches against the sky, that's pretty good break-up camo.
But then again, why don't they all look like that, it it's so good?
I may not norice but the change may not affect behaviour = species character.

The humming birds have just arrived this week, a flight of some 4600+km from their wintering grounds in SE Mexico.
All in full breeding plumage. The male Rufous are rusty with a bib front of blinding red/gold iridescent feathers.
Too fast for my cruddy little camera.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE