A bit of a stink!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Met an acquaintance on a walk today. Sorry about the distance of the subject. The cheap camera doesn't get any closer and neither do I when it comes to bothering my relation here.

hike004g.jpg
[/IMG]

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Skunks are nocturnal by nature and seeing one in daylight like this is rare. Skunks are known carriers of the rabies virus, which will make them act out of the ordinary and is another reason I kept a good distance from the animal.

It acknowledged my presence while facing me, by raising it's tail when we first met and I was only 10 meters or so away from it. :shock: I backed off quickly to 30 meters :wave: or so and as it slowly made it's way towards me, I took several photos as I continued to maintain a respectful distance. :wink:

A couple of female joggers started towards me and luckily I heard them and motioned them to stop or they would have rushed right past me and met Mr. Stinky up close and personal. The older of the two women had met a skunk under similar circustances in the same area a month previous and it turned out to be rabid. :roll:

Cut little guys, but man can they put up a stink when they don't get their way. Ya know what I mean? :roll: :lol:

D

dataphage

I seem to remember from National Geographic (I could be wrong), that one of the few ways to get rid of skunk stench once you've been hit was to bathe in tomato juice.

Has anyone else heard that or is my imagination running away with me?
:confused:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think i have heard that as well. But i thought it was urine! Aren't your meant to urinate on snake bite wounds for some reason.

Cheers,

Jake

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Yep, tomato juice helps to remove the stink from a skunk encounter. It'c common practice around here, especially with our dogs.

Never heard of urinating on a snake bite. Be kinda difficult if you're bit on the butt eh? :shock: :eek:): I have heard that urinating on atheletes foot helps though.

D

dataphage

The only thing I know for sure that urine helps on is if you get Sea Urchin spines stuch in you - the urea in the urine starts do dissolve the spine.

Maybe thats what you were thinking of Jake?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
i dont think so, but perhaps it stemmed from there. I definatly remember something about the urine cleaning the wound, or reversing some of the effects, i know it was something to do with snakes though!

Cheers,

Jake

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Jellyfish - urine's supposed to be used on jellyfish stings.
Don't know if the urea would have any effect on snake venom, it might do.
Realgar

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
JELLYFISH!! Thats another one, i knew i had heard it something else urine was good for.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Pepe was in my back yard the other night. Sneak through the fence before. I was tempted to shoot it with a .22sub. The thought of getting rid of the stinky thing made me slide the gun back in it's holster. If the next morning the trash would would have been picked up. :super: Thems the breaks, hopefully a coyote will eat him. If he is desperate enough.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
So... who on this is stocking up on Tomato Juice in large enough quantities to bathe in? I would not want to go shopping after such an encounter :rolmao:

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
having a wee on various parts of you body can produce some very good effects. Some of the licenced medical products are made from Urine (Urea, look in the ingredients). If you use your own though make sure you are a bloke????

Male Urine is sterile

Female Urine is not

Also Blokes can aim better.

D

dataphage

eraaij said:
So... who on this is stocking up on Tomato Juice in large enough quantities to bathe in? I would not want to go shopping after such an encounter :rolmao:

If you go into a shop smelling of skunk stink I'll bet they'll let you take as much tomato juice as you can carry :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE