A belt, a key case, a sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
A couple I met at a recent craft fair commissioned me to make a few items for them.

The lady wanted one of my tan bridle leather belts. The leather is traditionally tanned (oak-bark) English bridle leather, with a solid brass, nickel plated, hand cast /sand cast English made brass buckle.

IMG_4054_zpsab36daf9.jpg

The man wanted, firstly, a small key case to hold a couple of 'yale' type keys, with a semi-secret credit card holder - for one or two 'emergency' cards.

I modified the design of my normal key cases to produce this.

IMG_4051_zps802147be.jpg

When opened up, you can see the credit card pocket (with the entrance under the flap that holds the key ring).

IMG_4053_zpsf6fe7367.jpg

Secondly, he wanted a new sheath for his knife. He does long distance sailing and had lost one overboard, was given this as a replacement, but the original leather sheath was 'nasty'. I asked what he wanted, but he left it to me to come up with something that I thought he would be happy with.

This is the reverse. The belt loop attachment is 'stacked' to give some clearance for the guard on the knife.

IMG_4046_zps17e528c0.jpg

I'd originally thought of a detailed knotwork design on the front but, when playing around with designs and the number of loops, I came up with this simplified version, which I think has an elegant simplicity. I may be totally wrong, but it looks Norman to me, rather than Celtic, though Norman art will have some derivation from the Vikings /Celts.

IMG_4048_zpsdd22b80c.jpg

With the knife to be used on a seagoing vessel, I wanted to ensure its security as much as possibly, so the knife is a fairly tight fit into the sheath, but also has a retainer near the top of the handle for additional security. It is mounted fairly high on the handle, so that it doesn't interfere with getting the knife in and out of the sheath. The leather has also been well oiled, for additional waterproofing, and there is a small hole left at the point of the sheath to allow water to drain.

IMG_4050_zps787422d7.jpg

So here we have the collection.

IMG_4055_zps857121f4.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Geoff

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I like all three of those, but the sheath is superb, suits the knife and it's purpose very well; obviously a lot of thought gone into it, great design...........................atb mac

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thank you, folks, for all the kind comments.

Yes, indeed, there was a lot of thought went into the sheath. I seem to remember seeing some pictures of Mr Dreadhead using French curves for some of his designs, and remembered my old Flexicurve that I must have got for O-levels back in 1975. Still there and still works. Also used my Dad's set of drawing instruments that he got as an apprentice, must have been in about 1946.

It's quite some time since I did any carving, and I was pleased with the result. The Dreadhead work is always an inspiration to get going again. :)

So now it's back to stitching up some more tankards. ;)

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE