A `Being Sick` supply.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I am Ill right now. It’s not diagnosed as c-19 but likely. My tip is keep it simple for food. I have a lack of energy to achieve anything. At the start, my tastebuds went weird so I didn’t like complex foods. . Plenty of water. Very dry mouth.
Or just bus Gatorade. Or Powerade. Or any of the other sports drinks. Or better yet: Pediolyte.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My tip is pure orange juice (can be from concentrate) in a half and half mixture with water then add a pinch of salt. Other suggestions flat full sugar cola. I used to dilute full sugar cola 50:50 with water too. Actually preferred the taste.

Milk is actually a better drink to quench thirst but not sure it can be kept down if ill. It's my recovery drink after illness and especially migraines. Semi skimmed due to taste preference.

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
I was bedridden for seven days with the virus. Lost appetite completely, very lethargic. The game saver for me was Dioralyte. Recently listened to a Paul Kirtley broadcast featuring Gordon Desman survival instructor for Australian forces who says that drinking 200 ml of liquid is much better than sips of liquid!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yes I think it is, but fever = sweaty as hell and super thirsty. Most people probably don't have a drip and line at home, so choke it down.

Definitely keep up your hydration. A fair few of the covid patients at work have come in quite dehydrated with borderline kidney failure because they haven’t kept up their fluids over a long period of time of 5-7 days so staying hydrated (but not over hydrated) is a good idea.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My tip is pure orange juice (can be from concentrate) in a half and half mixture with water then add a pinch of salt. Other suggestions flat full sugar cola. I used to dilute full sugar cola 50:50 with water too. Actually preferred the taste.

Milk is actually a better drink to quench thirst but not sure it can be kept down if ill. It's my recovery drink after illness and especially migraines. Semi skimmed due to taste preference.

For general hydration I agree but when laid low you don't really want the extra acid that comes with most fruit juices - just the salts and glucose/sugars (I can't handle much fruit juice at the best of times).

Reactions: MrEd

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My go to is lucosade. I got in several bottles just in case. It was always a go to when I was poorly as a kid and I still use it these days. Dioralite is a good option and you can get it in the flavoured varieties. I think the blackcurrant is best for taste.
I'm taking 500mg of vitamin c daily plus vitamin d and zinc, all supposed to help build a good immune system and give it a boost.
I also have sambucol though it's very expensive and doesn't last as long as a pack of vitamins and the vits are much cheaper.
On my first aid course for mountain leader... sadly unfinished and never qualified I was taught to make a solution of sugar and salt disolved in water. If memory serves me right it's a teaspoon of sugar and a half teaspoon of salt dissolved in a pint of water as a rehydration mix. It may have been a quarter teaspoon of salt I'd have to check but I'm sure it could be looked up somewhere.
I've used this also adding some fruit squash for flavouring . It works quite well for rehydration if you don't have Diyoralite to hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE