A beautiful night tonight......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't know if anyone else saw clouds scudding over the moon tonight - absolutely incredible!

3270557442_96b95f1583_o.jpg

3270557440_779b8eee11_o.jpg

3270557430_e50de07f25_o.jpg

3270557452_788d5068d2_o.jpg

Sometimes the sky is so beautiful I can just stare for hours

Red

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Sometimes the sky is so beautiful I can just stare for hours

Red[/QUOTE]

:) I know what you mean Red. Sometimes out on the ocean miles from land, I feel as if I can just reach up and touch the moon when it's like that. Beautiful.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Great photos
I used a borrowed telescope to take a closer look at the moon last night
First time I have used one so it was all a bit trial and error
I too can spend hours staring at the sky

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I bought a skywatcher 130 p, it was a present for the missus but the novelty has worn off on her now so its more like my own new toy!!! With all this snow about though there has not been many clear evenings but the other night was perfect.

I have been meaning to get some books so recommendations would be great.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Two best books in my view are "Turn left at Orion" and "Nightwatch". The first is a guided "how to" direction how to find and look at various night sky objects . The second is in my view the definitive book for getting started and gives a good overview of pretty much everything.

Have fun!

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Nice photos, Red. The moon was looking great for a few nights back then. With some snow, the nights were really bright and beautiful.

Is that Jupiter in the South/ SSW? I looked at it with a pair of binos and thought I could see a ring.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice photos, Red. The moon was looking great for a few nights back then. With some snow, the nights were really bright and beautiful.

Is that Jupiter in the South/ SSW? I looked at it with a pair of binos and thought I could see a ring.

If it's very very bright it's Venus, Jupiter doesnt have a ring im afraid, thats Saturn

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
What time of night did you see the object you looked at Yodsa? Sirius is S/SW about now, brightest star you can see. If you know what Orion's belt is, that points pretty much directly at it. Up to about 8pm it was most probably Venus.

eskimo

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 1, 2006
Humberside
I recently bought a Bresser Messier R127 but all have been able to see is the mountains on the moon.

Had a look at what I believe to be venus but even on full power just looks to be a very small half crescent.

Spent hours searching the sky last night as it was crystal clear but couldn't even find the Andromeda gallaxy which I have been told should be the easiest to find.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Had a look at what I believe to be venus but even on full power just looks to be a very small half crescent.

Spent hours searching the sky last night as it was crystal clear but couldn't even find the Andromeda gallaxy which I have been told should be the easiest to find.

Thats about all you will see of Venus, although it's fascinating to follow the phase of the planet over a period of time, if you want to find more "stuff" get a copy of Turn Left At Orion, best book there is bar none for finding things in the night sky.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I recently bought a Bresser Messier R127 but all have been able to see is the mountains on the moon.
But aren't they wonderful?!

That's all you'll see with Venus as it's entirely covered with sulphuric acid clouds. :eek: Greenhouse effect... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Finding Andremeda is not as easy as it sounds and, in my experience, it is actually often easier to see with the naked eye. On a good clear night, you can see it with the naked eye as a small fuzzy patch using averted vision. Using a telescope, make sure you use the lowest power eyepiece you have. You will never see it as it's shown in books unfortunately - you need long exposure photography for that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE