A BCUK-branded 'thing'?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'm doing some travelling this summer, and have given in trying to find a bushcraft-style belt with a hidden money pouch in it, when (of course) I found someone who's made such a thing here.

That got me thinking: we've a host of top-notch makers here, so what item of kit would be a unique BCUK accessory? After all, Ray Mears has a knife, Bear Grylls has a load of relabelled Craghoppers kit, so what would we choose to have made as the 'BCUK loyal supporter accessory'? It might not actually have the BCUK logo, but would be something unique to us lot. A belt? A possibles pouch? A shoulder bag? Ideas please!

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
What an excellent idea - I vote for a leather ''patch'' with the BCUK leaf logo embossed onto it ... very much like the Fjallraven badge of a wolf or whatever it is (Ive seen it on the sleeve of their jackets). Members could add them to a sheath perhaps, to bags and packs and sew onto their jackets ... easy.

I want one!!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wasn't the leather embossed badge done once. I think I have one somewhere.

A small one about the size of a 10p piece would be good to glue to a leather belt, knife sheath or possibles pouch.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I love the idea of a leather badge, it would be great for a multitude of things as mentioned! I'd certainly go for those!!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The shop is down for the time being. The leather badges were too big to be fixed to sheaths though. A smaller one would be splendid,

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Ah come on, we can come up with something more practical than a badge surely. How about a BCUK branded Mora clone? :D:cool:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ah come on, we can come up with something more practical than a badge surely. How about a BCUK branded Mora clone? :D:cool:

Well, there was the Spyderco Bushcrafter, that was branded with the BCUK logo and lettering, then it went all wrong.

If the BB fifth anniversary knife is anything to go by, we need something else :D

Belt (we all need them)
Small leather badge (to stick to sheaths, possibles, tankards, compass cases, hats, etc etc)

Err, can't think of anything else :(

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
For the last year I have been in the process of designing and building numerous leather work items for post apocalyptic/bush craft/ survival items...Several things in my range I could share would suit the job
Survival watch strap - Based on primitive hunting weapon but some of us still use often
Key ring fobs - based on primitive hunting weapon again
Survival wallet - designed for the little handy things like candle wicks, flint, sharpening tools etc...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
For the last year I have been in the process of designing and building numerous leather work items for post apocalyptic/bush craft/ survival items...Several things in my range I could share would suit the job
Survival watch strap - Based on primitive hunting weapon but some of us still use often
Key ring fobs - based on primitive hunting weapon again
Survival wallet - designed for the little handy things like candle wicks, flint, sharpening tools etc...

A wallet would be a nice item as would a keyring, but I think there is something almost sacreligious about putting an Amex into, or car keys on a bushcraft related item. I'd feel all dirty :eek: For things like a DC4 or keyrings for firesteels though, would be great.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Well the wallet is designed to carry the following...

Carpenters scraper featuring, morse and semiphore letters and numbers.
Hole in the centre for signalling
Edges are two different shapes for different wood working, Bowls and cups and or knobs in bow making.
Makes the best fire steel striker you will ever use,
and can be turned into a skinning blade with a sharpening.
I am still looking a company to make these for me though so I am not doing all the work on it.

Mini sharpening steel (coarse) Great for working out chips in big knives
(I am still and always looking for a diamond smooth version to pair it with.

Mini expandable chopsticks, I just like them for cooking and eating with.

Set of three zippo wicks for bush made candles

Freezer bags for water collection from tree and bush wraps.

Artificial sinew lengths in various colours

Puritabs - 48 total

Spare flints in a straw for a zippo

High quality selection of 5 biro style ink refills

Wallet chain designed to double as a Manrikikusari style self defence weapon.

Tiny fishing kit

Theres still loads of space in there for other things, I have for example, about 8 credit sized cards, money (not usually much though), Slot for several sized memory cards for phone, camera etc.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I am fairly sure I have done this before, the only new things is the wallet chain I made with an old chain whip broken down and attached to regular chain slotted into two punched holes in the crease.

At the moment I am more working on my akubra design using recycled sofa leather and my miro first aid kit consisting of balms and lotion type stuff for the most common injuries such as cuts, scratches, dry lips, insect bites etc

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You can get the folding kuksas with your logo (and in your prefered color) on, and it should also be possible to get firesteels with a logo on them.

P.S. The Fjällräven logo is a arctic fox (what a "fjällräv" is in Swedish).

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Why not a firesteel with some wooden handle,maybe in some cylinder shape so you could burn the bcuk logo in the head?

that would be very bushcrafty,bear the logo and it could be used in keychain too.

Or small possibles pouch out of leather with embossed logo.

Id buy stuff like that as it has some actual use too,not like some miniature firebow-keychain that wont ever light anything:lmao:

But,the leather badge in relatively good size gets my attention and support too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE