96,98,2016 - Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft book differences?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chief

Dec 18, 2019
Lincs.
Hi,
Does anyone know if there's much of a difference between the three versions of the book?

'96 being Northern Bushcraft, the '98 (Bushcraft) being described as the "expanded edition" and the 2016 print being stamped with "New edition".

I wondered whether the 2016 edition was just a reprint or whether it had any new/edited information in it? (or not enough to make a difference?).

Thanks.

Reactions: CLEM

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Where are you seeing these descriptions? What prices are you seeing to go with them?

Normally one would go with the latest publication to have the most up-to-date information. The descriptions I have seen tend to show the same number of pages...but that isn't an answer.

I just looked at both Amazon and Abe Books and was shocked at what the second hand prices are. I find myself wondering if some people are not trying to cash in quick following Mors departure. New, from Karamat, the company Mors worked with, they are $18.95 while second hand they start at around £40 and go up to silly money on Amazon.

Chief

Dec 18, 2019
Lincs.
The descriptions are from various sites across the web, I've been trying to get a copy for a while now - I had been ordering from WHSmith but their dispatch time of 2 weeks didn't happen so I ended up cancelling to look elsewhere.

The prices have been high for a long time, and they haven't risen following Mors' death.

Karamat is a great price at CA$18.95, but their postage is CA$70 to the UK which pushes the price up too much.

I've found one site that's selling the '98 edition incl. postage for around £24 (sites' estimated shipping cost included), as you say the page count is the same, but that doesn't mean the information is the same which is why I've been humming and hah-ing over it being an older edition.

Edit: Another 2016 version came up, apparently new but only the one in stock - £9~ more but I figured I'd best snap one up - admittedly still more money than I'd hoped (postage still more than the book itself) but at least all being well I'll have a copy now.

Also, I forgot to say thanks for the reply @C_Claycomb :)

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hmmm. I see the thing about New Edition now....and that flat rate shipping price! Ouch. Less bad if one had a bunch of stuff that one was ordering, like a group buy of the books. I have found some entries from the Book Depository and Waterstones saying that the publisher, Lone Pine, will be doing a new run in early 2020, they are currently out of stock. I wonder if that is why the prices are up.

My own copy isn't much help, it is "expanded" published 1988!! I gave the copy I had to a friend, then when I visited Mors in 2011 I picked up a copy from a box that he had been sent.

The looking around at the Bushcraft books has drawn his newer work to my attention, think I will need to get a copy of that.
"Basic Safe Travel and Boreal Survival Handbook". When we visited him, Mors was saying he was working on a new book, so this could well be it, published by Karamat in 2015.

ATB

Chris

Chief

Dec 18, 2019
Lincs.
I saw the messages about a new run, but not any actual year and the odd thing is that Waterstones and the Book Depository just said 'out of stock' for me - I have noticed that different computers are displaying different things. An example, on my main computer WHSmith's said something along the lines of "Dispatch 2 weeks" while on another computer "Special order item, out of stock, will attempt to purchase" all very strange.

The nice thing about the Basic Safe Travel... book is it's (like every other of his books appears to be -bar Bushcraft ) available as an eBook from Karamat so no shipping issues/costs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE