Giveaway: Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brynglas

Hi all,

I find myself with a spare brand new copy of Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft book. I think it's fair to say that Kochanski has had a significant influence on the development in Bushcraft education over the years and this fantastic book is a must read for anyone keen to get outdoors.

I'm proposing to give this book away to the young bushcrafter (under 18 years old), who can provide an account in less than 150 words of the benefit they get from the activity we call Bushcraft.

This may be an appreciation of wildlife, a sense of adventure, learning new skills etc. I won't place any parameters on the content. I'll set a time of one month for this and see how many responses we get.

Good luck!

Brynglas

Last edited:

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Just giving this thread a bump as I think this is a great little gift for the budding young bushcrafter. It's certainly a book I intend to purchase for myself.

Is there any way of seeing how many under 18's we have in the forum? there may not be a great deal of them...

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just giving this thread a bump as I think this is a great little gift for the budding young bushcrafter. It's certainly a book I intend to purchase for myself.

Is there any way of seeing how many under 18's we have in the forum? there may not be a great deal of them...

+1 to that.
Only under18 I've seen post here much is cam but he seems to already really know his stuff!

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Creative...Hmm. Lets see.

From a early age i have enjoyed the great outdoors, From as far back as i remember, which is probably my grandpa taking me for chestnuts or up before dawn for Mushrooms. I dont even think i was at school yet.
I can remember the quiet stillness you get at that time in the morning just before the sun brings everything to life, Wind, Birds, Animals, People. ahhhh Bliss.

Major benefit..Hmmm, I can still climb some pretty steep slopes, blowing out my rear end mind you, but i just grit my teeth and get on with it. Cant remember it being so tough when i was a nipper. In fact i remember my grandpa blowing out his and me giving him the hand up.

RIP Gramps....Thanks for the education and bringing me home with the fresh mushrooms for the eggs...We wont mention the spuds and Tumshies... (now that i think about it, where did those eggs come from??).. we used to steal on our way home from the chessy hunt, mum would have done you in if she knew.

I still remember you challenging to fight the local land owner Captain Stewart for his land after he reminded us in no uncertain terms how his forefathers fought for, "this land", and i have no doubt you would have won..... Jimmy McStay finest old rogue i ever met.

The End..

Howzat? :D

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
I don't see the point of a creative post if you're picking a winner at random, so I'll just tell you where I'm at...

I grew up in the countryside, constantly out in the fields or climbing trees - general mucking about. I didn't learn anything however and as soon as school was more than just a place to make finger paintings and play with friends I got caught up in the whirlwind of life, grew up and moved to a city and got a degree and a job. In the past year reading what I can afford about wilderness and bushcraft, decades old memories and experiences are connecting. I remember interacting with various plants, mushrooms, and wildlife having no clue what they were, and I feel I missed a priceless opportunity to learn about these things while I was immersed in them, because there was nobody to teach me. I used to see a mushroom and try to kick it as far as I could, giggling as it exploded against my foot. How I would love to meet my younger self and teach him to be less destructive and actually look closer at the fascinating things around him and to learn to respect them.

Anyway, I'm trying to learn as much as I can (still very much a novice) and those past experiences are making it slightly easier to do, so if there is someone who needs the book more than me I'm happy for them to have it. Although it would lighten the financial burden somewhat to be gifted a book I have on my extensive and daunting wish list.

Good luck everyone :D

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
2 good little background information stories there out of this thread and Stevie you've got a great read on its way to you there

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well done Stevie, just proves that growing up is an option. :D Looks a cracking read, I've had a leaf through a copy and it's on my list to buy too. Congratulations again.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE