90 pattern army sleeping bag question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Definately inside, can't protect your valuables on the outside. Has yours got the strap on the bottom, we cut them off to stop people hanging each other in trees

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have the pockets on the inside, I put my socks in them with other things I want kept warm over night.

I don't know why it was designed tha way but I have hung mine to air using the strap before.

Awesome bag with the worlds best zip... never unzips by accident and flies open when you're busting for the loo! I love 'em!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Awesome bag with the worlds best zip... never unzips by accident and flies open when you're busting for the loo! I love 'em!

Only trouble with them is they seem to be made for the slim build. I've tried 2 and both of them I can't even do up across me chest :( Got one here that's vitually unused that I picked up really cheaply at a boot fair and it's going onto ebay when I get a chance to list it.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I know i might be a bit thick here,but what way round does the 90 pattern sleeping bag go, are the web pockets on the inside or outside,i thought the inside ?

Bernie

They go on the outside Bernie they are for putting bribes in so nomadic tribesmen don't kill you in your sleep...they simply reach into the pocket and depending on what you put in the pockets would A go away happy B give you a slap or C kill you.....hope this helps...:sad6: I have wanted someone to ask that for years......thanks Bernie, No they go on the inside ........................so the nomads can have a good rumble inside your bag their not interested in bribes ....:D

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Only trouble with them is they seem to be made for the slim build. I've tried 2 and both of them I can't even do up across me chest :( Got one here that's vitually unused that I picked up really cheaply at a boot fair and it's going onto ebay when I get a chance to list it.

no offense but you must be really broad then. I allways found them huge and dont remember a slim fitting version. after the 58 debacle of too many short bags as the population grew taller they made sure it was a one size fits all bag.

Oggie

Dec 30, 2006
Melton Mowbray
I was issued mine for the 1990/1 Gulf war and its pretty good but I agree about the width of it. I often sleep with the bag the wrong way up, I have my feet inside the bottom of the bag but with the zip open and the top of the bag acting more like a quilt.
Oggie.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk

You must have the wrong sizei'm 6ft 4in and 44 chest and my bag swallows me.

Bernie

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
no offense but you must be really broad then. I allways found them huge and dont remember a slim fitting version. after the 58 debacle of too many short bags as the population grew taller they made sure it was a one size fits all bag.

You must have the wrong sizei'm 6ft 4in and 44 chest and my bag swallows me.

Bernie

LOL, no offense taken Dave.

I'm 6'1 with a 52" chest and trust me the one I have atm I've tried getting it and I wasn't able to do it up with my arms out of the bag. Arms in the bag? no chance at all.

I ended up going down Argos as they were the only people I could find that did a bag big enough for me and got a bag from them for £25 which is 90cm across at the top and I can snuggle down in that quite nicely :) and with my home made bivi bag I'm nice and cosy. Don't know what it'll be like come winter time but I reckon I'll be ok :D

LOL, no offense taken Dave.

I'm 6'1 with a 52" chest and trust me the one I have atm I've tried getting it and I wasn't able to do it up with my arms out of the bag. Arms in the bag? no chance at all.

I ended up going down Argos as they were the only people I could find that did a bag big enough for me and got a bag from them for £25 which is 90cm across at the top and I can snuggle down in that quite nicely :) and with my home made bivi bag I'm nice and cosy. Don't know what it'll be like come winter time but I reckon I'll be ok :D

Please remember that from the 90's many different varients of sleeping bags were made and issued by various manufacturers, so what you may call a 90 pat bag, incorporates many different styles although it is taken for granted it is the 3/4 or full length zip bag with mesh pockets on the inside (for drying your clothes keeping valuables in...)

I'll give you an example, CQC and Snugpack being two. What appeared to have happened was that a general purpose sleeping bag was requirred after the Falklands campaign in light of the faults of the previous arctic and 58 issue bag. So a general purpose bag was issued that would do away with the need for an arctic and temperate bag, this was the 90's bag that came in a few variants. When used in the arctic, a separate lightweight sleeping bag was procured as a liner to increase it's insulation properties, while on it's own the liner could be used as a hot weather sleeping bag. I have one, they are very rare apparently and were never issued in great numbers. This saved the beans initially however, it transpired was never good enough for truly arctic conditions so a new arctic bag was procured sometime during the 90's and a separate warm weather bag was procured based on the old jungle bag, which was essentially a quilt that zipped around the edges with a draw cord hood.

Some of these 90's bags were sized however I' ve only ever seen a medium and large but have been reliably told they rarely come in an xl. I'm a 58 inch chest and can fit easily the old 80's arctic bags, the new 90's arctic liner but struggle with all the rest! What they should have done was make a zip in expanda panel like snugpack for bigger folk!

So look around, ask guys in stores...there is a bag out there for you!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Please remember that from the 90's many different varients of sleeping bags were made and issued by various manufacturers, so what you may call a 90 pat bag, incorporates many different styles although it is taken for granted it is the 3/4 or full length zip bag with mesh pockets on the inside (for drying your clothes keeping valuables in...)

I'll give you an example, CQC and Snugpack being two. What appeared to have happened was that a general purpose sleeping bag was requirred after the Falklands campaign in light of the faults of the previous arctic and 58 issue bag. So a general purpose bag was issued that would do away with the need for an arctic and temperate bag, this was the 90's bag that came in a few variants. When used in the arctic, a separate lightweight sleeping bag was procured as a liner to increase it's insulation properties, while on it's own the liner could be used as a hot weather sleeping bag. I have one, they are very rare apparently and were never issued in great numbers. This saved the beans initially however, it transpired was never good enough for truly arctic conditions so a new arctic bag was procured sometime during the 90's and a separate warm weather bag was procured based on the old jungle bag, which was essentially a quilt that zipped around the edges with a draw cord hood.

Some of these 90's bags were sized however I' ve only ever seen a medium and large but have been reliably told they rarely come in an xl. I'm a 58 inch chest and can fit easily the old 80's arctic bags, the new 90's arctic liner but struggle with all the rest! What they should have done was make a zip in expanda panel like snugpack for bigger folk!

So look around, ask guys in stores...there is a bag out there for you!

Thanks for that info W00dsmoke. The only trouble is actually identifying what is pre and post 90's arctic bags so I'm still searching.... I will find it :D

Thanks for that info W00dsmoke. The only trouble is actually identifying what is pre and post 90's arctic bags so I'm still searching.... I will find it :D

Thats easy, each nsn tag has a manufacture date on it on the bags and if you still can't work it out, anything with feathers in it with a full length zip and no pockets is roughly pre 90's, if it has a rubberised plastic base it's either a 58 pat bag or a French bag!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex

The one I had was gigantic... good for someone 7 foot tall and very wide... very very wide!

I had loads of room inside and while i'm not huge, I ain't tiny.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
<snip>...while i'm not huge, I ain't tiny.

KennethWilliams.jpg

Oooooh, Matron!!!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I have the same trouble with a 50" chest which has moved south to my waist. What I've done is buy 2 £7.99 Woolworth envelope bags and zip them together to make a double, and for colder weather I have 2 of the £4.99 local garage fleece bags ..which again you can zip together and fit these inside the wooly's one, it actually works really well and is toasty.

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
i must admit i've never had any problems with my bag at all, i was lucky enough to be given one of the really big ones though, I'm 5'9" 48" chest and with my feet touching the bottom my head dissapears a few inches below the top of the zip!!! and the thing is so warm that i can't have it zipped up in the summer months (well that was before i got one of the lightweight jungle bags) and in the depths of winter i could happily sleep in nothing but my boxers!*

* may have something to do with the immense amount of body hair i own!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE