9 foot long wild pig

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
Read about this on the Register. Boy shot it with a .50 pistol a number of times then trailed it for 3 hours. Meanwhile his father stood at the ready with a hunting rifle in case it attacked. Nicer if they had managed to give the pig a quicker death.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Read about this on the Register. Boy shot it with a .50 pistol a number of times then trailed it for 3 hours. Meanwhile his father stood at the ready with a hunting rifle in case it attacked. Nicer if they had managed to give the pig a quicker death.

I would have to agree 3hrs the beast must have been in pain...even so why would you want to shoot such a magnificent animal in the first place

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
...even so why would you want to shoot such a magnificent animal in the first place?

Apart from the damage that they do as an introduced species? We get awful annoyed over the Americans sending us the grey squirrel and the Canadian goose, but they are only paying us back for the pig! ;)

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
That photo's genuine, but there's a bit of perspective play going on. The boy is leaning on something quite far behind the boar to make it appear larger. There are other photo's of it on the 'net that show it's real size. It's still a big 'un, just not that big.

There's a link to the pics somewhere...

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Read all about it; here:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp

As a photographer I reckon that the picture is probably NOT Photoshopped (hicks wouldn't know how anyway :p ) However I can see that the picture was shot with a wide angle lens and that the boy is well behind the pig, he's not leaning on it as it might at first appear.

The effect of shooting a picture this way makes the hog look larger and the boy smaller due to the perspective created by the lens. This may not have been intentional but it is never the less the effect created. It's still one heck of a hot though. :eek:

newhogzilla.jpg

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire

Yep, animal cruelty not hunting! A well place broadhead arrow from my mongolian bow would have done the job in one shot, the multiple shots and 3 hrs was just torturing the poor beast.Hope the spirits of all their quarry haunts them.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Is this the same "wild" pig that turned out to have been someone's pet? The story was faked as a wild pig...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE