8 Days

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Hey everyone

Im going into the forest for 8 days on a holiday and im just wondering how much and what foods you lot would take with you. If you've got any recipes for bannock Id love to hear them and any other recipes you have but Id like reasonably simple things.

Mitch

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
MitchelHicks said:
Hey everyone

Im going into the forest for 8 days on a holiday and im just wondering how much and what foods you lot would take with you. If you've got any recipes for bannock Id love to hear them and any other recipes you have but Id like reasonably simple things.

Mitch

See John Fenna's Bannock recipe, that will keep you going!!
And to quote Nessmuk after he took a 10 day trip into the wilderness.
"Reader, if ever you are tempted to make a similar thoughtless, reckless trip - don't do it.":)

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Mitch

Everyone has their own slant on what to take if this is your first outing of this type keep it simple, over 8 days you will consume a lot of food I would plan to top up after 3/4 days but for starters a 24 hr ration pack as a fall back, brew kit, flour, backing soda, dried fruit, rice, dried meat or salami type sausage, dried milk and muesli, sugar don't take sweeteners you will need the energy also boiled sweets. Salt, pepper mixed herbs etc.

It helps to sit and think thru the meals for a three day period and then add a couple of things that you like such as fruit or chocolate if your not careful the diet can become a bit bland.

This time of year the weather can become a bit inclement so insure all your dried stuff is well sealed up and that you can access the necessary items to make something hot and tasty if you are caught out by the weather.

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you learnt, Pothunter.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Are you able to get to the destination before your trip, I say this because if your travelling you could cashey ( I think that is how you spell it?) some rations/ supplies at different places along the way. this would mean you wouldn't have to carry as much!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
pothunter said:
Hi Mitch

Everyone has their own slant on what to take if this is your first outing of this type keep it simple, over 8 days you will consume a lot of food I would plan to top up after 3/4 days but for starters a 24 hr ration pack as a fall back, brew kit, flour, backing soda, dried fruit, rice, dried meat or salami type sausage, dried milk and muesli, sugar don't take sweeteners you will need the energy also boiled sweets. Salt, pepper mixed herbs etc.

It helps to sit and think thru the meals for a three day period and then add a couple of things that you like such as fruit or chocolate if your not careful the diet can become a bit bland.

This time of year the weather can become a bit inclement so insure all your dried stuff is well sealed up and that you can access the necessary items to make something hot and tasty if you are caught out by the weather.

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you learnt, Pothunter.

Good reply Pothunter. Banncock is great, but remember, the ingredients are not light to carry for an 8 day trip, take some, but don't rely on it, crackers and primula cheese spread work well. Look at high fat, high carb food as said, dried meals (vesta curry, rissoto etc you can get in Tesco), boiled sweets are better on a long trip, you can eat chocolate very quickly, hard boild sweets take longer and you still get the sugar. You will crave some stong flavours, so as said, herbs and curry powder are great (a small tin of sardines is a real treat after a few days, trust me). Rice, pasta and powdered spud will fill you up. Take a couple of extra's with you, cup a soup, cheap noodles etc, and a treat like a chocolate bar every couple of days is wonderful. 8 days of food is a lot to carry, think hard on the menu, and set it out at home, any doubt, and make plans to break your trip for a re-supply

Have a great trip, and let us know how you got on (don't forget the digital camera ;) )

MitchelHicks said:
Hey everyone

Mitch

Mitch,

I suggetst you use the Search engine of the site - there are loads of recipes on hear ;)

Phil.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Greg said:
Are you able to get to the destination before your trip, I say this because if your travelling you could cashey ( I think that is how you spell it?) some rations/ supplies at different places along the way. this would mean you wouldn't have to carry as much!

It's 'cache' and it's a pretty damn good idea! Assuming you know you can make it to a certain point, it would save carrying lots of stuff. Good for nav skills too - you have a good motive to find that cache!

There's a lot of good advice here but many of the tings advocated are pretty bland and flavourless. How do people add a bit of taste? I used to carry small amounts of curry powder, stock cubes or chile flakes. It's all very well people telling me that natural things you can find along the way, like Ramsons, etc, give good flavour. This is all assuming you can actually find some, so I reckon a back-up is always necessary.

Let's face it, a water/flour bannock/dough twist may be filling but it isn't going to set your taste buds on fire.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Mitch,

I suggetst you use the Search engine of the site - there are loads of recipes on hear ;)

Phil.

I'll second the search engine, as this sort of question has been asked at least 3 times in the past 4 months. I contributed two recipes to a thread a couple of months ago that are strictly "add boiling water and wait" that are huge hits with our group.

We're big on dehydrated meals. Carrying water in your food, especially enough food for 8 days does not sound like good times to me. Store bought freeze dried meals are costly, but if you DIY it they're pretty inexpensive and you can customize them.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I've got my bannock sorted out all ingridients I know been making mine for a while but ive never got it thicker than an inch but i make them in quite small quantities and it tastes nice so its fine for me. I've always used Noodles when I go out which are easy to carry. I've never taken rice I know its a good food but just never got round to taking it think ill give it a go this time.

Think ill get some salami what ones do you lot carry with you I dont want anything to hot but Id like to see what you lot like so I can check them out?

and thanks pothunter

The idea of muesli made me think about breakfast cereals like Oats thought about using them in the morning and I can add them to the Bannock. Ill take some other cereals just small ammounts.

I got some other ideas from here as well so thanks everyone.

It should be ok about weight its going to be a fixed with odd walks so shouldnt need to pack more than a days food so Ill be able to keep most of it at the base. But thanks for your info add any others if they come to you.

Ill remember my camera and ill post them later on in the year.

Mitch

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Dont forget the possibillity of some fresh protein, fury or fish, so explore the area and as sugested cache some supplies and look for the evidence of the local beasty areas.

Good luck my max is seven days , I think you will have a great deal of fun if planned correctly.

Don

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE