7" Tablet recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've decided I need to kick my Nexus 7 to the kerb. An operating system update a while back means that soon anything with it is impossible except using it as an e-reader or films. The charging port is now turning into a struggle to keep it connecting and the battery isn't lasting long. Replacing those parts on the nexus is painful and when combined with the system issues it seems pointless.

I have a hudl in the house which is the kids and actually like it quite a bit. They recently snapped part of the charging port - £5 part and about 10 minutes to fix! It can take a micro SD so easy to have extra films to hand as well. The price was good too where really the nexus is prob overpriced for what's needed. The downer is Tesco have stopped producing the hudl (might have swung for the hudl 2)

So, any recommendations from folk on what to look at?

Oh, and android O/S. :)

Dreadhead

I've been using a Samsung galaxy tab 4 for a year now. Never been keen on tablets and the like but I must say it's a braw wee thing. My laptop often crashes when trying to manage my facebook leatherwork page and my email, but they run nice and fast on the tab so it's my go-to when I need to reply to somebody pronto. Might be a bit too small for you though

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've been using a Samsung galaxy tab 4 for a year now. Never been keen on tablets and the like but I must say it's a braw wee thing. My laptop often crashes when trying to manage my facebook leatherwork page and my email, but they run nice and fast on the tab so it's my go-to when I need to reply to somebody pronto. Might be a bit too small for you though
i
fthe 4 means 4" then yes too small - I have an iPhone that fits that size.

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
I was a nexus 7 user, too. The updates ruined it. All the way back to jelly bean cyanogen mod made it useable speed wise, but horrible. The nexus 9 is too big and expensive. We have a hudl in the house too.

I've now gone to the dark side and got an iPad mini; it just works. And that's as a long time anti-Apple guy. I also prefer the 4:3 ratio, it's much better for reading pdf's, which I do for work quite a bit. I always used to print them because I don't like a widescreen display for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've a Hudl2 ~ brilliant (in my opinion and for what I use it for). Unfortunately someone knocked it flying and the impact cracked the screen. Replacing the screen without causing any potential manufacturer warranty would have been almost as expensive as buying a new one (iirc £100 v £120 ~ the repair might be less now :dunno: ). Unfortunately TESCO have, as already said, discontinued the line :( .

So ... I got an ASUS MEMO Pad 7. I should have spent the money repairing/replacing the Hudl. To my mind it's a good paper weight ~ but a spoon would be better as it reliably performs other tasks too. Hopefully other have had more joy with theirs than I with mine :censored:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

I have the same machine. No complaints. It's been a good one.

Far_Wanderer

Oct 29, 2009
Lancashire, England
The galaxy tab4 is a roughly 7 inch tablet, it works same as TVs its diagonal measurement. I have a nvidia shield but and its brilliant for streaming etc and gaming but probably not for you.

I bought a lenovo tablet from Argos for 90 that would do great for most people plus its well put togeather

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Hi All

I sell android tablets and phone to my clients so just from personal experience.....

ASUS TRANSFORMER 10", from argos ebay refurb store £74
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Tran...787728?hash=item51dbab4d50:g:q3wAAOSwe7BWzPvr
not brilliant spec or storage, for for web use etc,
main advantage with argos ebay store, if any faults, the collect from you for free and if they cant fix they give you a full refund.

If you want a higher spec or want smaller than 10" , the nividia shield has very good reviews, havent used one myself, can be found for £150 sometimes, better spec than the transformner, gets updates quite quickly,

for a higher spec/quality, the Samsung tabs 10.5 is very good, my wife has one, can be got for about £299 at times, if i can sell my note 4 this is the tablet i would buy to replace it.

Hudl, lets not go there, lots of problems.....

Nexus 7 is ok if you dont want sd card for media consumption, but i have had a lot of faults, all the ones i have sold have died within 2 years

Also just in case anyone wants a cheap android phone for taking out so there mainone doesnt get lost/damaged
the vodafone smart 6 can be found for £15-20 and the galaxy s 4 mini for about £40, havent used the smart 6 yet but ive sold several minis and they are very good for the size, reliable, good pocket phones

Al

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hi All

I sell android tablets and phone to my clients so just from personal experience.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Tran...787728?hash=item51dbab4d50:g:q3wAAOSwe7BWzPvr
main advantage with argos ebay store, if any faults, the collect from you for free and if they cant fix they give you a full refund.

If you want a higher spec or want smaller than 10" , the nividia shield has very good reviews, havent used one myself, can be found for £150 sometimes, better spec than the transformner, gets updates quite quickly,

for a higher spec/quality, the Samsung tabs 10.5 is very good, my wife has one, can be got for about £299 at times, if i can sell my note 4 this is the tablet i would buy to replace it.

Nexus 7 is ok if you dont want sd card for media consumption, but i have had a lot of faults, all the ones i have sold have died within 2 years

Also just in case anyone wants a cheap android phone for taking out so there mainone doesnt get lost/damaged
the vodafone smart 6 can be found for £15-20 and the galaxy s 4 mini for about £40, havent used the smart 6 yet but ive sold several minis and they are very good for the size, reliable, good pocket phones

Al

10" is way to big mate. If I want that big I'll just use my laptop. 7"ish is good for that filling the gap between phone and laptop. It's a trio I've used for a long time and it works. A 10" is a lump for me.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The galaxy tab4 is a roughly 7 inch tablet, it works same as TVs its diagonal measurement. I have a nvidia shield but and its brilliant for streaming etc and gaming but probably not for you.

I bought a lenovo tablet from Argos for 90 that would do great for most people plus its well put togeather

Yeah I saw the 6" x 4" measurement and guessed it would be a 7"ish on the diagonal. :D

Far_Wanderer

Oct 29, 2009
Lancashire, England
As I said I have the nvidia shield and love it. Its a HD screen that is abit higher than 1080. Gets the update same time or just after there released. Has SD storage and mini HDMI port. Dual speakers and the graphics capabilities are the best.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi All

Al

Useful info, thanks. :)

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I have an Alldaymall 9" tablet, that was gifted to me by a friend.
This side of the pond they sell for about $50.00 USD on Amazon.
It does everything I need it to, and will take micro SD cards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE